looking for a ubuntu substitute

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rusk
Established Member

Re: looking for a ubuntu substitute

Post by rusk »

ah, there's no emerald in that video. gtk-window-decorator also supports transparency for window frames. But I prefer emerald, it can use any textures for frames and make transparency gradients. Mint uses cinnamon by default. There's no compiz available for this DE. It's great DE, but I prefer compiz.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

In previous 2 posts I wanted to say - no need to switch distro if you just don't like the look. Try different DEs, I have 5-6 different DEs installed and switch them time to time when I want something new.
isengaara

Post by isengaara »

I was using Ubuntu since 2011 and now I use Trisquel GNU/Linux.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

I dont like ubuntu studio either, however kx studio to me is a different distro even though its based on Ubuntu.

~What has been done to tweak it for studio work makes it work much better.

I like the KDE interface, but it takes up to much system resources. Solution@?> install another Desktop enviroment. Im running LXDE. It runs great on older machines and flys on newer machines. Yes it looks a bit old and isnt as fancy but IMO you should be looking at performance and functionality over eye candy when running a studio machine.

AV-linux has skinned lxde pretty well so maybe instead of going through all the work of trying to use another base distro it would be better to do some kx studio skins for other DE.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

The basis of my installation is Ubuntu Studio (12.04). I do not want Unity, but then, I also do not want KDE, so I have a limited KXStudio repository install on top. I also have MATE desktop. So some might say it's a bit of a mixed up mess! But it illustrates that the freedoms are extensive.

Next time, I'd use something like Xubuntu as the base. I started with Studio before I encountered KXStudio, but now that I have, it is not necessary.

So far as KDE is concerned, I simply do not like it. It's not for me. However, falkTX has integrated it into KXStudio for more important reasons than simple aesthetics and, if I really wanted the best system for real music production (I'm really just a listener) I would almost certainly go with a simple, all-inclusive KXS install, KDE and all, without worrying about how it impacts system resources.
Odessea

Post by Odessea »

After long torments with Ubuntu 12.04-13.10 I eventually installed Tango Studio Debian + KXStudio repos and I'm really enjoying the work of a stable system.
http://pixs.ru/showimage/Screenjpg_7696920_10032910.jpg
FalkTX, thank you so much for moving repos to Debian and for all your work on the whole!

Post by lazyklimm »

linux mint
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

Debian!! ive tryed many in this time, almost all of what you are saying, and the better is debian, but with a very large difference, is fresh and light and extremely stable and the best thing is what usually all the things work with no tweaks! I did not know how bad iubuntu is until i have tried debian.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Debian stable or testing ? There are cons and pros. I use Wheezy, very stable (except a big issue with Chromium), but I lack sometimes uptodate libraries, so I have activated the backports. Are there good experiences with Jessie ?
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I'm using antiX with Linux kernel 3.7.10. seems the best with my hardware, but you have many kernels to choose from. plus you can build it the way you want. It's a lightweight fast system great for real-time events.
Here is the link to my current project. If you would like to make a live disk, and try it out.
The 64 bit addition, has LMMS ready to run, and it works on the live disk.
http://antix.daveserver.info/music/
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

stanlea wrote:Debian stable or testing ? There are cons and pros. I use Wheezy, very stable (except a big issue with Chromium), but I lack sometimes uptodate libraries, so I have activated the backports. Are there good experiences with Jessie ?
The stable, the stable, this one works perfect, im installing it now in the production system , to try it seriously.
Last edited by Splashman on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

stanlea wrote:Debian stable or testing ? There are cons and pros. I use Wheezy, very stable (except a big issue with Chromium), but I lack sometimes uptodate libraries, so I have activated the backports. Are there good experiences with Jessie ?
I'm very happy with Jessie, but it helps that I'm a geek and quite comfortable around a Debian system, so I'm not afraid to even install some stuff from unstable/experimental :).
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

raboof wrote:
I'm very happy with Jessie, but it helps that I'm a geek and quite comfortable around a Debian system, so I'm not afraid to even install some stuff from unstable/experimental :).
After using Wheezy for some time on my office machine (all but music), I had issues with hardware (mainly with displays), and some recent software. I installed Jessie, just by changing the apt.list, and it worked really well. No more freezes and crashes.
On my music machine, I use Wheezy, but even with backports, I miss some libraries. ATM, I didn't switch to Jessie, because I don't know if the Wheezy KX would work (that I doubt).
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

Yeah, same happens to me, but I lose a lot because I'm not always in linux, anyway i prefer always a refinated system and programs, i dont know a lot then when i finish of fixing and configuring everything the Pc is whole fat thing mix of fixes and reminds what that is not workable, i love it more comfortable, and that's good because you will not have to worry about a lot of things to make music, you already have enough with trying to find a good sound and composing melodies.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I have been with anitX since the alpha stages, now it's in Debian stable. The developers really listen to the needs of the the users.
I have found that the lightweight, of the OS really adds to the real-time uses, and lower latencies.
I like fluxbox desktop myself, or most of the time I go with rox-icewm.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953