looking for a ubuntu substitute

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Splashman
Established Member

looking for a ubuntu substitute

Post by Splashman »

I want to say goodbye to ubuntu, I'm tired of the rare roll which is getting, prefer to use my efforts to enlarge other distribution that does not have aimed to turn a company into apple 2.
What should be my choice? Do Falktx your wanted to migrate to arch truth?
Splashman
Established Member

Re: looking for a ubuntu substitute

Post by Splashman »

cadence and claudia on debian will work? go to a distribution mother seems a very logic option
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

then where would be the problem of choosing a distro or another? I work me as those basic things and let the distro nonsense with the performance would be perfect, and if the system seems to like it was before unity better.
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

If you can choose, I'd choose the distro that more support and movement have in the community, but that is they are concerned about having things that work either through svn as you are doing with audio
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

joa joa maybe is because the transalator im tired today too.
i said if i have to choose a distro today i will look for the one with most active comunity and if i can debian based.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Splashman:

If you don't want to just use vanilla Debian then I'd recommend you check out AV Linux, Linux MInt Debian Edition and Kanotix.
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

yeah, i think mint should be one of the better options. they got now all the active comunity of ubuntu
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

there is also a new "easy" Arch flavor: http://manjaro.org/
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I am using crunchbang, which is configured debian and has a great community. Also handy that there is an rt kernel in the repos.
audunpoi
Established Member

Post by audunpoi »

Me too. Crunchbang is great. Very stable, no nonsense.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

Ther's no reason to search another distro if you just don't like UNITY. try kxstudio xfce. It's the same ubuntu but with lightweight and more classic DE. It's supported by ubuntu comunity and by kxstudio devs.
Splashman
Established Member

Post by Splashman »

no, i dont like xfce it looks a bit old
i go to tray mageia and mint in a usb
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

I use Puppy Studiohttp://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 8784.shtml because it's very convenient: being a flavor of a 'minimalist' distro (Puppy Linux), it works fully in RAM, which, added to the RT kernel, makes it very fast in my 2 Ghz laptop.

That said, I just use it 'as is', with all the software that comes out of the box, but I don't know anything about Carla or Cadence, or if they are easy to install. Anyway, maybe might be an option to consider for an old computer.
Zybersun
Established Member

Post by Zybersun »

The distros i am currently using are Fedora 18, Debian SID and SME for my private server and gateway. I have had great luck with both Fedora (first choice,) and Debian and recording/mixing/getting it all set up easily. Both have great communities. Fedora has a "Design Suite" spin but I never tried it. It seemed to be focused on graphics and such, https://spins.fedoraproject.org/design/#about so I always skipped over it.

There have been some great recommendations (except for one, but I don't want to start an OS war so I wont say which one ;-) lol ) also Opensuse might be another option, though like Fedora, it is not connected to Debian obviously. Maybe with any one you choose you could get more people involved to lessen the burden on yourself. This brings me back to Debian and Fedora communities. Worth asking and checking things out there maybe? I haven't used Opensuse in awhile so I am not sure how large or good their community is now.

If you are moving away from Ubuntu I will definitely be checking out KX when you get things switched. Also, Debian repo's and Fedora ones are great. Add RPM Fusion for Fedora and deb-multimedia for Debian and that opens up a lot of options.

Also I should note that Fuduntu is based on Fedora and for some reason they are ending it and basing things on, last I heard, Opensuse. I am not completely sure what all that is about.
Last edited by Zybersun on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

i dont like xfce it looks a bit old
man, you can make the DE look and feel like anything you want. There's no restrictions for that. Just google any desired feature and you will get it. I get my xfce look exact like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSzWixwdoQ It's old GNOME and I like this set up a lot. Apps used in this video: compiz, cairo-dock, emerald window decorator. It looks and acts the same in xfce. The only missing feature is burn effect in new versions.