No option for windows after KXstudio install

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skavar
Established Member

Re: No option for windows after KXstudio install

Post by skavar »

You may have to hold down the shift key while booting up in order to see the grub menu!
Stupid but true!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

falkTX wrote:If you're running KXStudio right now, make sure you have "os-prober" installed, then run:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
Assuming the main drive is /dev/sda of course.
Thats the wrong way round for the grub fix commands F, as I posted earlier in this thread:

1 - Download/burn/boot SuperGrubDisk2

2 - Boot your KXStudio install from SGD2

3 - Open a terminal then:

sudo update-grub
Thats presuming you want grub installed to /dev/sda of course, which is normally the case
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

1 - Download/burn/boot SuperGrubDisk2

2 - Boot your KXStudio install from SGD2

3 - Open a terminal then:

sudo update-grub
Thats presuming you want grub installed to /dev/sda of course, which is normally the case

ok thanks for helping out.is the above still relevant regarding that now I can't get into KXStudio now.Because I did as the Boot repair program advised .
[The boot files of [The OS now in use - Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS] are far from the start of the disk. Your BIOS may not detect them. You may want to retry after creating a /boot partition (EXT4, >200MB, start of the disk). This can be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via the [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair]]
Used gparted and create /boot partition (EXT4 ) .when i opened up Boot repair the option to

select this partition via the[quote] [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair]] [/quote]was greyed out .

Now when I boot up I get a 'windows can not start message' with instructions to fix this using the install/repair disk .

hehe you gotta laugh  :lol: ............................................?  :cry:   :)
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

yes! no grub menu appears at all .Now when I boot from that disk I just get a windows failed to boot . I will try and get windows back using the install dvd first .
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

hi,

i'm now on the unbuntu studio live install disc .I've got window loading .Grub is still no where to be seen .

So as per the instructions of Boot repair I would like to install grub on the newly created

/dev/sdb4
partition.

I have been following this guide [url]http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/install ... d.html[url]

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x05dc3579

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb2 616448 536836095 268109824 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb3 536858622 976771071 219956225 5 Extended
Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sdb4 206848 616447 204800 83 Linux
/dev/sdb5 960524288 976771071 8123392 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb6 536858624 960524287 211832832 83 Linux
so following the guide
Partition table entries are not in disk order
root@ubuntu-studio:~# sudo mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt
mount: /dev/sdb4 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb2 is already mounted on /mnt
root@ubuntu-studio:~# sudo mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/boot
mount: mount point /mnt/boot does not exist
root@ubuntu-studio:~# sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev/
mount: mount point /mnt/dev/ does not exist
Any help please!
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

Hey,

Sucess! . I now have grub at start up, showing ubuntu (soon to be kxstudio) and windows 7. Though it's a little messy, their is also options for ubuntu linux kernel 3.2.0-39-1 and kernel 3.2.0-47 . not sure why . Also I have two lists of windows, one which takes me into a windows boot loader with two options for windows and windows recovered which works .And another option of windows which takes me to a screen advising that windows won't load . Must be a way to clean all this up, but right now I 'm just glad I got it working .

At least I can get into both OPS from grub .

Advice to newbies ! . Buy a relatively cheap hard drive and install kxstudio on it's own!. .Then press F2 or whatever takes you into the bios on each start up and you can select the op to cleanly boot into from there .
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

jamsterthecool wrote: Advice to newbies ! . Buy a relatively cheap hard drive and install kxstudio on it's own!. .Then press F2 or whatever takes you into the bios on each start up and you can select the op to cleanly boot into from there .
My advice to newbies, is save your cash, and RTFM before you partition and install :) (unless you're rich, in which case just buy another drive, cheapskate! heheh)
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

ToddMWorth wrote:
jamsterthecool wrote: Advice to newbies ! . Buy a relatively cheap hard drive and install kxstudio on it's own!. .Then press F2 or whatever takes you into the bios on each start up and you can select the op to cleanly boot into from there .
My advice to newbies, is save your cash, and RTFM before you partition and install :) (unless you're rich, in which case just buy another drive, cheapskate! heheh)

All the hassle and "manuals" that I had to read in order to achieve a bootable side by side installation & you provide a somewhat unthoughtful, RTFM response.Which manual are you referring to!.The one on the Ubuntu website that makes it seem that a side by side installation is a easy simple process ( Only sometimes ).If you'd read any of the above, you may have given a less bias response and concluded that (judging by the amount of posts on help forums) RTFM can be quite miss leading .

Lets look at some evidence .( The physical proof that something actually exists and is not just a product of the human imagination.For example ( Their a many if you look) rocks and climate as opposed to Ghosts and Gods )

The unbuntu 12.04 LTS installation manual http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/ins ... rm-support

Clearly states :-
4 Allocate drive space

Use the checkboxes to choose whether you'd like to Install Ubuntu alongside another operating system, delete your existing operating system and replace it with Ubuntu, or — if you're an advanced user — choose the 'Something else' option
Now a newbie RTFM , ticks box for
Install Ubuntu alongside another operating system
. It says nothing about how their is a real chance that once you have installed ubuntu alongside another operating system, that theirs a chance that you won't be able to boot back into your original operating system .

Now I could go on and list many many many forum posts with questions from people.They chose to install Linux alongside another operating system & now they can't see an option for that original operating system .
And quite often the response may be (as I've had on this post) . Well first lets see if you haven't deleted windows and installed linux over it .Then more advise about grub this and grub that and grub update this and that .

So RTFM is relevant when the FM gives you all the information ( and quite often that is not the case) .

From the ubuntu installation manual
That’s it.
All that’s left is to restart your computer and start enjoying Ubuntu!
Maybe this statement should reflect reality .That it may not be " it. "

So I stick to my original point . If you have room in your desktop machine for another hard drive and you can afford £20-30 pounds .Get a relatively cheap hard drive and install linux on it's own their .

If you don't have the capacity or the cash for another Hard drive,well then do RTFM, and you should be able to sort it out . As linux ,generally, has a helpful community of people.And if ,as is too often the case . Their is no option to RTFM , then search for the most up to date info you can find .And look out for conflicting advise on forums ;-) .

Be aware though.Installing operating systems side by side on the same drive has it's risks .So the simple answer is to simply install kxstudio over windows :D .And maybe KXstudio could make that a viable option,especially for music producers whom love the variety of VSTi's on offer .
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

It's really not necessary to add another disk for these reasons, and it is likely to only complicate matters. I can understand why, from your experience, you would recommend this, but I'd say you should not!

I have been adding and subtracting Linux installs (there are always two or three) to my system, maintaining the existing WinXP system, ever since my first tentative (but quickly successful :)) foray with Ubuntu 10.04. The install section, where it asks you what you want to do, needs to be read three times, then take a break, then read it another three times, and then think ten times before committing your self and your system. I don't doubt that it is possible to say all the right things, but have the system go wrong, but it is not a common experience. You made a mistake, or were very unlucky, or both: it happens.

I'm a control freak: I prefer to create and format the relevant partitions, just where I want them, before doing an install. Then I just select "Do something else," (or similar) and allocate those partitions to the new install. Then I check three times before continuing.

The obsessive checking with this kind of work is inspired by my many past mistakes. Even so, I doubt that I'll never make another!
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

jamsterthecool wrote: All the hassle and "manuals" that I had to read in order to achieve a bootable side by side installation & you provide a somewhat unthoughtful, RTFM response.
It was entirely thoughtful. I was thinking about giving good advice to those who might read the thread later. I felt you had a bad experience and mislead others as a result. I was being thoughtful, just not of you specifically, because in this case, it's too late :(
Which manual are you referring to!
I meant it in the colloquial sense, as in, "Educate oneself prior to progressing". I am well aware that the documentation is a complete ****ing nightmare. with all the different versions of not only grub but windows over the years, combined with incomplete documentation and thousandfold replication of the same instructions by a thousand different blog pages and forum posts, etc, etc... You know what I mean. It can take a long time to figure out which of the gazillion FM's out there (or combination of FM's, which is usually the case) is the right one. It sucks.
If you'd read any of the above, you may have given a less bias response and concluded that (judging by the amount of posts on help forums) RTFM can be quite miss leading .
My response is biased only to providing the best solution to my friends like you and other readers of this forum. RTFM is not always easy, and in this case I feel it's particularly hard. Still, other than asking an expert to directly assist you, or unlikely odds of good luck and just happening to get it right first time ;), RTFM is the only way to avoid the kind of troubles you've had.
jamsterthecool
Established Member

Post by jamsterthecool »

hi guys and thanks for the respectful and well thought out reply's . As you could probably tell my previous post was more rant than pure reason .
So with that in mind I'm not going to dwell on it,well not too much . Yes I did have problems with the side by side install . Though I had installed quite a few linux distributions over the last month or so without issues.i.e - Usual text book installation that after you install linux the first reboot brings you to a screen listing all your installed operating systems .Why Ubuntu 12.04 LTS didn't show grub on boot on both installs I have no clue .

I guess that is why I found it all so illogical that the same was not the case this time around .And then I ran the 'boot repair' program which told me that grub was installed too far away from the beginning of the disk, thus this might be the reason it's not loading up at boot.
Anyway. I do now have grub showing my 3 installed operating systems at boot . Linux mint Debian edition on one disk .And on the other disk kxstudio and win7

Happy ending :D

Thanks for the help.It is appreciated .Hopefully now I can move on to make music in linux and promote the open culture .
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Great, and glad you are sorted.

The problem with install problems is installation is something we don't want to do very often, so we don't get practice.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

falkTX wrote: No, this is wrong.
Booting from an external medium will not properly run "update-grub".
update-grub will just update the boot section for whatever system you're running right now. If you're not on your target system, you'll need to chroot first and then run the update command.
(unless SuperGrubDisk2 has some magic in there?)

anyway, this specific case is about the grub menu not appearing, right?
Its not wrong because I have performed that exact procedure to fix grub2 installs 100's of times before and that is what I'd recommend to anyone who has GRUB2 issues on a BIOS machine. Have you tried it yet to verify it does/doesn't work? No chroot'ing is required as when you boot via SGD2 it appears to all intents and purposes you have booted from your HD (you did, kinda).

What that method doesn't do is replace grub-pc with grub-efi if that is what the problem is - that is what boot-repair is supposed to do.
Last edited by danboid on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have updated the KXStudio install instructions to warn people of multi-boot install probs and how to fix them on both BIOS and UEFI machines now:

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... g_kxstudio
kelargo
Established Member

Post by kelargo »

kind of late here, but I believe the answer to problem of not seeing the grub boot menu can be found here -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/24586/ho ... u-in-grub2..
and inserting a valude for this parameter - "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= "