Zynaddsubfx 2.4.3 in KXStudio: Default theme is too dark

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

luster
Established Member

Zynaddsubfx 2.4.3 in KXStudio: Default theme is too dark

Post by luster »

I am trying to use Zynaddsubfx 2.4.3 in KXStudio, in a recent install from the KXStudio DVD

version is:

zynaddsubfx 2.4.3+git20130315-1+fixed1~precise2

I'm having great difficulty seeing the controls because the 'skin' or default theme is too dark for me. For instance, the messages are impossible to read in the dropdowns that appear via mouseover; the knobs are too dark to see, and the controls for them appear as mysterious white dots floating in black space; I am also unable to see the divisions or groupings of related items because they are too indistinct.

Is there an easy way to make the 'skin' or default theme lighten up? I see no options in the zynaddsubfx UI itself.

I would be very happy to find a way to switch it to the earlier blue and grey 'skin' or theme such as Yoshimi still offers.

Thanks.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: Zynaddsubfx 2.4.3 in KXStudio: Default theme is too dark

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I can agree with that when out in road trips to my vacation unless my laptop came with an OLED display which should be designed for indoors and out where there are lots of sunlight even if it's not shining at the display.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

+1

this is the new zyn skin. I think it's an improvement but needs work. Should post it as a zyn bug, though :)
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

There's gtk-chtheme, which is found in the package "gtk-chtheme" but I can't run "ntk-chtheme."
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Okay, I've changed the color theme to light, but some of it in ZynAddSubFX did change. The graphical background image and dials cannot be changed.
--Grayson Peddie

luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Thank you, falkTX for such a rapid reply.

However, I need to ask from where to run that command

Code: Select all

ntk-chtheme
?

I do see that I have

libntk0.0 
non-toolkit - main shared library
[Installed version] 0.0.0+git20130318-0~precise3
installed. But when I run that command from a terminal (as non-root user) I receive the following message:

[my_machine]~$ ntk-chtheme
No command 'ntk-chtheme' found, did you mean:
Command 'gtk-chtheme' from package 'gtk-chtheme' (universe) ntk-chtheme: command not found
Ah... just as I was about to post this, I saw the need for the "libntk0.0-dev" lib.

I installed the dev lib, and now it runs. I changed a bunch of stuff, and I think one or more of them altered the text color in parts of the Zynaddsubfx UI. At least I think it did. It looks better, at least I can see more, but it's subtle; and the sun is no longer shining in my window. And I also jacked-up the settings on my monitor. So it's subtle.

If anyone reads this and manages to find a magic combination of settings resulting in a significantly lighter 'skin'/theme with the "ntk-chtheme" utility, I'd like to hear what they are.

Thanks again, falkTX.