KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by danboid »

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I expect RMS and the FSF and maybe even Wolftune will approve of the docs now they've got a Free Software chapter explaining why RMS would destroy KX forever for its unclean ways!

:D
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

hebjuzeb wrote:
manic_b wrote:Happy to help! I think my set-up is mostly default though. When/where/what is the best way to do this?
Well, what we have here is guerrilla-documentation; Dan came up with a plan, started writing writing/arguing with Wolftune :lol: , others had some observations, and here we are! Actually working really well, I think.

But if you're using Reaper that's a niche in itself; there are some peculiarities about running Reaper in WINE, for instance I had problems with random crashes and someone told me I had to go Options / preferences / audio / uncheck "close audio device when stopped and application is inactive." OK, easy fix, but I never would have known to do that in a million years. Did you import your Reaper.ini file from a Windows install? If so where did you place that in Reaper? How about project files? Any tweaks to WINE configuration? If you can point out a few potential newbie-timebombs, that's a lot of help right there.
Thats one thing you need to do. The other is to run:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 wineasio.dll
KXStudio includes wineasio.dll but it doesn't register it with wine for you.

Then under the REAPER audio devices prefs choose ASIO / wineasio as your driver and you should be good to go.
Last edited by danboid on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

ToddMWorth wrote: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=what ... tware+mean
About 89,500,000 results (0.34 seconds)
Todd, no offense but stop wasting our time and creating division. Effectively zero of those links are on the topic of "what is the Free / non-free status of KXStudio" which is the only thing I've been pushing for all along. :x
danboid wrote:I expect RMS and the FSF and maybe even Wolftune will approve of the docs now they've got a Free Software chapter explaining why RMS would destroy KX forever for its unclean ways!
Dan, I know you're joking, but since you don't like RMS being so dogmatic, don't play into his approach. RMS sees things in a black and white dichotomy. Rejecting that doesn't mean just continuing with the dichotomy and associating any interest in the issue with being a dogmatic extremist. Rejecting the dogmatism means recognizing that things are on a continuum and some Free Software issues may matter more than others and it is important to be transparent about it.

Anyway, I made a thorough revision and added notes about the specific programs. As you'll see, I'm not trying to demonize anyone. I'm just informing, and it might even encourage people to use some of the non-free options. It's just about having thorough but still focused and KXStudio-specific documentation.

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Oh, one thing: I don't know if it should be its own page, but somewhere we need a discussion of installing extra proprietary video drivers etc. And that should reference this issue, so it should be clear instruction on how to do this and when to consider it, but not tell people either to use or to avoid these, just showing the issue. That issue isn't otherwise covered yet.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Free or non-free is not a matter of personal convictions or beliefs, yours, mine, Mr Stalman's or anybody else's, it is a matter of fact.

People need to be informed. In some parts of the world, the installation and use of certain software in certain ways can have legal implications. It is a whole documentation section that, personally, I just skim, but it needs to be there.

Dan, if you really feel that such stuff is clutter, you could maybe add it as an appendix. You might do that with some of the trouble-shooting and command-line stuff too. Just an idea.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:Free or non-free is not a matter of personal convictions or beliefs, yours, mine, Mr Stalman's or anybody else's, it is a matter of fact.

People need to be informed. In some parts of the world, the installation and use of certain software in certain ways can have legal implications. It is a whole documentation section that, personally, I just skim, but it needs to be there.

Dan, if you really feel that such stuff is clutter, you could maybe add it as an appendix. You might do that with some of the trouble-shooting and command-line stuff too. Just an idea.
Let me head this off at the pass. Thad, Dan just CREATED a section which I then substantially rewrote and added to. He's on board, and it's there. We're all good. Let's continue moving on toward more topics. :mrgreen:
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Cheers to you both. Very happy to be headed off at the pass! :lol: And moving forward from there.

You caught me out as not having read today's latest yet. :oops: :oops: :oops:
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Wolftune:

Unsurprisingly, you added and changed more more in that section than the others! :)

It all looks fine to me - I just made 1 small correction and added a note about Aspect being a fine specimen of a softsynth.

About video drivers - of course that needs to be covered. Again, that has been earmarked as getting its own section in the OP since I wrote the TOC.
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

wolftune wrote:
ToddMWorth wrote: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=what ... tware+mean
About 89,500,000 results (0.34 seconds)
Todd, no offense but stop wasting our time and creating division. Effectively zero of those links are on the topic of "what is the Free / non-free status of KXStudio" which is the only thing I've been pushing for all along. :x
You asked a question, " your claim "it's foreign and confusing to most newcomers" is totally speculative. How do you know??".

I answered that question by demonstrating the insane amount of discussion all over the internet which explains it. If it weren't confusing and foreign, then tell me, why is everyone trying to explain it?

Don't ask me a question and then accuse me of wasting time by answering it. That does cause offense.

As for what you've been pushing all along, I know that, but what you don't seem to 'get' is that some people don't understand the difference between "free/non-free", so discussing the matter in the limited context of KX may only add depth to their confusion.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Todd, I didn't and don't mean any personal offense. Let's move on.
ToddMWorth wrote: You asked a question, " your claim "it's foreign and confusing to most newcomers" is totally speculative. How do you know??".
I answered that question by demonstrating the insane amount of discussion all over the internet which explains it. If it weren't confusing and foreign, then tell me, why is everyone trying to explain it?
You might as well look at the amount of discussion about the Beatles and say, "the Beatles are confusing and foreign". :lol:
The idea that a topic generates a lot of discussion or not or even whether it is heated or whether there's consensus, none of this necessarily provides much insight, certainly not any evidence of how interested people may or may not be.
Don't ask me a question and then accuse me of wasting time by answering it. That does cause offense.
So I apologize but I seriously had no idea this was intended to answer my question. I thought it was just one of those "look, there's so much about this already, let's not add any more" statements with no productive purpose.
As for what you've been pushing all along, I know that, but what you don't seem to 'get' is that some people don't understand the difference between "free/non-free", so discussing the matter in the limited context of KX may only add depth to their confusion.
I have understood this completely all along. I don't know where you get the impression that I am ignorant of this fact. No documentation can be perfect for every possible person. For those newbies who care, they deserve some documentation. For those who are curious but new to the idea, they get a link to start them understanding this, which they can ignore if they aren't interested. Just because some people don't know anything about free software is (A) not a reason to avoid bringing it up and (B) not an adequate fact for concluding that the vast majority of KXStudio newbies are in that group.

I came to KXStudio as a complete newbie to GNU/Linux, totally confused about all these things, and yet aware in general of the issues of Free Software and interested in understanding it and learning about how KXStudio fit in.

Anyway, moving on to other topics… we've got documentation on this now, and if anything, we're not going to delete it. It could be improved for clarity if there's any complaints. I think it's clear, not especially confusing at all, and I think it's been inappropriate how people have been spreading FUD around even mentioning the issue.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

wolftune wrote: I thought it was just one of those "look, there's so much about this already, let's not add any more" statements with no productive purpose.
My bad, sorry it came across that way. I have far too much respect for the members of this community to behave like that.

I never wanted to suggest that the "free software" doco should be excluded entirely, just that it should be sufficiently separated from the "must-know" doco (like how to install), so as to avoid potential confusion.... Which is why I was so surprised we were still discussing it, because that's exactly what's been done :)
No documentation can be perfect for every possible person. For those newbies who care, they deserve some documentation. For those who are curious but new to the idea, they get a link to start them understanding this, which they can ignore if they aren't interested. Just because some people don't know anything about free software is (A) not a reason to avoid bringing it up and (B) not an adequate fact for concluding that the vast majority of KXStudio newbies are in that group.
So true (especially that first sentence, which is why I made the point earlier about the audience). I think we've all come to the same conclusion and it's been implemented accordingly, so....yay! :)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

How about having the KX Welcome app register wineasio for 32bit wine and 64 bit too on 64 bit installs for 12.04.2?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hmm OK - good but I'm sure I had to do it myself after installing 12.04.1. Maybe thats because I picked the wrong option from the KX Welcome menu?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

You're right, I could've deleted ~/.wine and forgot about it.

I'll install KX afresh in a VM soon and check wineasio gets registered - not that I don't believe you! :)
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

We definitely need documentation that says, "if you delete your .wine folder, you must later do" (what is it I should do? I deleted .wine when testing something, what is it I should be doing?? I didn't know about this…) :P
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar