KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tbritton
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by tbritton »

danboid,

Treeeeeee-mendous! Thanks!

Terry
danboid wrote:You mean like I documented here?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10271

;)

Its a good point though and when you said that I was sure I had mentioned this in the ALSA chapter but, if I did, it has been edited away since but its there now. The relevant paragraph now reads:
In the bottom right corner of the mixer window there is a tool icon. This icon allows you to configure which channels are available to control for the currently selected kmix device tab. You may find that some controls you need are missing at first, so you may add them via this Configure Channels window. A common example of when you might need to use the kmix Configure Channels window is if you are using any SPDIF (optical) ports, which are referred to as IEC958 devices under GNU/Linux, as such controls are often not displayed by default.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

I think we should add a section about keeping KXStudio up-to-date. It needs to reference the one most important thing: ignoring Kubuntu backports of KDE until they have KXStudio patches.

I'm a little unsure of the exact way to put this. Is the reason that we need the Kubuntu backports instead of only going through KXStudio PPA's because only some of the items are patched? Because this awkwardness wouldn't happen if everything came through KXStudio and we didn't have the systems set to access Kubuntu directly at all. But at the very least, I want to specify to people how to tell when the patches are done so the update should go ahead…
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I expect I'll be adding another chapter or two to the KX manual soon.

It would be nice if Canonical/Nvidia could get their driver working with 3.11 in time for the imminent KX 12.04.3 release but I don't see that happening unfortunately. If it did happen, F could ship the new release with 3.11 and no-one would have to downgrade their kernel to use their USB audio devices. As it is, it looks like KX will ship with the buggy USB audio code of 3.8. This means many people will have to downgrade kernels so this process should be covered in the manual.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have just spent all day updating the KX Studio manual on the LA wiki to reflect the changes and additions brought by 12.04.3 as well as adding a whole new chapter - 'Choosing and installing kernels':

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/choosin ... ng_kernels

A mostly complete list of the changes I made to the manual today includes:

Removed extra 'here' on index page.

Added Easy2Boot and USDC as alternatives to unetbootin on the Downloading, booting and running KXStudio 'live' page.

Updated UEFI link to be more specific on Installing KXStudio page

Proper description of KXStudio Welcome Setup added to Installing KXStudio page

Numerous small fixes/updates to Package Management page

Added more detail to 'Nvidia video fixes and tweaks' within Installing non-free video drivers chapter

Added 'Configure default laptop screen brightness' section to video drivers page

Added note on Skype and Mumble to non-JACK apps section of 'ALSA and KXStudio' chapter

Updated 'System checks' section of Cadence Introduction to note the user is added into the audio group during install now.

Various other small tweaks to the Cadence Introduction and WineASIO pages.

How's your website update coming on F? I expect you'll need to update your manual mirroring script now?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Just a thank you for the ongoing work :)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks Thad!

Its about the best I can do right now to help F and the free (Linux audio) software communities.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've just made a few small tweaks to the 'Changing GRUB's default kernel' section of the new chapter like including a link to Grub-Customizer's home.

I've also added setBfree and Triceratops to the list of recommended apps.

EDIT

Just made a few tweaks to 'Are you running the best kernel for your hardware?' section of the new chapter too.
Last edited by danboid on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I'm glad you're giving a word for Grub Customiser.

I have to live with a multi-boot machine, and with finding that kernel updates don't work for me. I'm supposed to "techie" (ha ha, it's all in the past) but I find grub very hard to undertand. Grub Customiser makes it all doable.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Grub-customizer is in my top 10 most useful Linux utils, I think!

Why isn't it in the official Debuntu repos yet? There is surely demand for this utility. Prob because its not got enough exposure so I hope I'm helping to fix that.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have replaced the screencap of Cadence's wineasio options on http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/wineasio_and_reaper with a working image (the previous one was removed from F's site it seems) and I have also updated http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/choosin ... ng_kernels with a link to xorg-edgers PPA for NVIDIA and Catalyst users who want to run 3.11 w/ full gfx support.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

So shall we just tell Nvidia and ATI users to avoid installing 3.11? Installing the binary drivers can be a bit tricky if not using a PPA or the official repos.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

OK F!

I updated it again to suit your preference. How does this sound to you?

"Intel graphics users need not worry about installing the 3.11 kernel but at the time of writing the Nvidia drivers available in the Ubuntu Precise repos do not support kernel 3.11. This may also be the case for some ATi/AMD Catalyst users. Nvidia 3.11 users must use at least driver version 331.20+ so it is recommended that Nvidia and ATi users who want to fully utilise their hardware wait for newer, 3.11 compatible graphics drivers to make it into the Ubuntu repositories before upgrading."

?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Done!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Both those vary depending on your laptop make and model. This is why I said within 'Configure default laptop screen brightness' of http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/video_drivers
It's important to note that the path to the brightness setting as well as the values used may differ depending on your video hardware. laptop model and display config so you will have to check for the presence of these files and discover their correct locations before modifying rc.local.
Those example values given are correct for my Samsung laptop.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've updated the SSD section of

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/installing_kxstudio

To include a fix for those like me with SATA3 SSDs who experience stalls during boot caused by the GRUB KXStudio splash screen.