Move KXStudio to ArchLinux?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Move KXStudio to ArchLinux?

Total votes: 0

Joermungand
Established Member

Re: Move KXStudio to ArchLinux?

Post by Joermungand »

I’ll second that!

I’ve already moved to Arch and, apart from Carla and being able to build mixed (32-bit+64-bit) libraries for Jack2 (KXStudio version), I don’t miss a thing. Quite the opposite, the system behaves much better on the whole. I’m willing to do any amount of testing that might be required.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

I could go either way, I use ubuntu mainly but I've also started to dabble in Arch and it seems like a cool place. Gotta say, the whole Mir thing is pretty disappointing though...
riffmastergeneral
Established Member

Post by riffmastergeneral »

Last edited by riffmastergeneral on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

This will just make ArchLinux more attractive to me. I say go for it. You can keep some Ubuntu support through repositories though. And i agree! With the latest Ubuntu "policies", makes that Debian is now the unquestionable primary operating system for me, so i kinda see your point F-man
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I vote yesno!

No because I am now so used to the repositories and the Ubuntu way of doing that stuff, installation and other admin.

Yes because I entirely agree with you about Canonical, their methods, philosophy and future. Have done since they threw away a universally popular interface paradigm for Unity. Their attitude is not so much choice as this is what we think is good for you: suck on it.

So... if you make that shift, I'll grit my teeth and start learning Arch methods.
edvo
Established Member

Post by edvo »

It would be very progressive move.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

I like my Arch system as-is but I think KXStudio would really put wheels on it.

I don't have any particular bias against Ubuntu, but you can count me in as supporting the move. I just like Arch better.

Best,

dp
Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

I hope I do not break dependencies with Ubuntu future.

or I will be forced to use Ubuntu Studio with Unity =)

Best Regards
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

I absolutely vote NO, unless you want to effectively make audio production on Linux even more niche than it is now (which already is a lot).

I like Linux. I use Linux. I like music. I'd like to make music on Linux. In the easiest way. With the least work needed to set up a system.

Not everybody that wants to make music is a geek or techie. I'd like to see more people make music with Linux. That means supporting widely used and "easy" distros. Which means Ubuntu.

Every one I know that uses Linux at home is in fact using Ubuntu. Or at most a derivative like Kubuntu or Mint. That's a fact. The fact you can install KXstudio over an existing Ubuntu installation must not be undervalued. It's one of the great plusses of KXstudio. I can do light music production work without having to reboot to another OS.

Heck, even I, if was forced to install and learn to use another distro, then I'll probably switch back to Windows. At least I already know how to use it and I'm sure all VSTs work.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

If you decide to move I'll have to re-evaluate my own stance as Arch is not my favorite distro (personally I think it's a bad choice for doing audio). So at the moment I'd vote no.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote:
Tarrasque wrote:I like Linux. I use Linux. I like music. I'd like to make music on Linux. In the easiest way. With the least work needed to set up a system.

Not everybody that wants to make music is a geek or techie. I'd like to see more people make music with Linux. That means supporting widely used and "easy" distros. Which means Ubuntu.
Not necessarily.
If KXStudio moves to ArchLinux, you'd still get the same things:
- Easy to install Live-DVD ISOs
- Wide range of (updated) applications ready-to-install via repositories
- Cadence + JACK ready to go, enabled and always running by default

The biggest change would be how packages are handled (debian vs pacman).
I think your title confuses.
You actually will make a Arch(Pacman) based (new)Distro
So titel would be: "Base KXStudio on Arch(Pacman)?"
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

falkTX wrote:
Tarrasque wrote:I like Linux. I use Linux. I like music. I'd like to make music on Linux. In the easiest way. With the least work needed to set up a system.

Not necessarily.
If KXStudio moves to ArchLinux, you'd still get the same things:
- Easy to install Live-DVD ISOs
- Wide range of (updated) applications ready-to-install via repositories
- Cadence + JACK ready to go, enabled and always running by default

The biggest change would be how packages are handled (debian vs pacman).
Fact is: can I still add a ppa and install everything over an existing Ubuntu?
That's what I've been doing until now. And it was a breeze. And it meant that I could teat/learn/switch to Linux based music production smoothly, one application at a time, try one VST at a time, run one win program at a time, and so on. And I did not need to reboot, or stop my torrents, or closing Skype or whatever.

Just like I could do when I was learning how to use music production software in Windows.

Then when I decided that Linux was ready for prime time, I decided to install from the DVD, with a low latency kernel, and I use that installation when I want to stay up the whole night making music and nothing else.

The point is, a dedicated installation is good for someone that already has passed the drill, but risks to turn away the casual user, which is IMHO one of the minuses of Linux.
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

falkTX wrote:
AutoStatic wrote:If you decide to move I'll have to re-evaluate my own stance as Arch is not my favorite distro (personally I think it's a bad choice for doing audio).
hm, why do you say that?

@Tarrasque: PPAs don't exist on ArchLinux, but instead you have AUR -> https://aur.archlinux.org/
Pretty much everything that exists in Linux it's in there :D
The question remains: I'm using Ubuntu on my box.

Will I STILL be able to install KXstudio over it if I wish to?

Most of the times, I don't want/need to reboot my box for making music. If I'm forced to every time I want to make music, then KXstudio loses one of the "killer features" for me.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

falkTX wrote:hm, why do you say that?
Personal experience.
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

falkTX wrote:
Tarrasque wrote:The question remains: I'm using Ubuntu on my box.

Will I STILL be able to install KXstudio over it if I wish to?

Most of the times, I don't want/need to reboot my box for making music. If I'm forced to every time I want to make music, then KXstudio loses one of the "killer features" for me.
What is done is not going away.
I'll keep supporting 12.04 until it dies. 12.10 too, as I do now (which is limited since I don't run that myself).
So yes, you can still "upgrade" an Ubuntu box to KXStudio as long as it uses 12.04 or 12.10.

What changes with a possible Arch release is that >= 13.04 won't get supported.
Well, that's really a pity... :(

And a bad decision. IMVHO, of course. Like it or not, Ubuntu = Linux for most persons ATM.