New KXS user...

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

Re: New KXS user...

Post by wolftune »

well, great, whatever works. My personal experience was a crazy bunch of settings with RT and rtirq and testing hardware and all this other stuff, and later I just tried some different hardware and the newer kernel updates overall and things are good without all that nonsense. :lol:

Put quite simply: I think KXStudio, the Linux kernel, and various hardware issues all are getting closer to a time when fussing with this stuff is not needed. There's been reports that with later kernels, like 3.5 and on, ideally 3.7 even, there are many other things fixed and improved. A low-latency version of 3.7 (not available today that I know of) will probably work for most things without any extra junk. But yeah, actually the high number for RT in JACK is probably the main thing that is needed.

Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Blindekinder
Established Member

Post by Blindekinder »

Hi again,
just a small feedback: I used KX for a theater creation in a festival. We played the piece 18 times, and not even a xrun!
I used a complex 8 channel spatialisation Pure Data patch, some physicals inputs, and Giada to play some samples. All was saved in a claudia studio, and then started with one click on startup. I used RT kernel (but didn't needed very low latency for this project, ~20ms) and a RME Multiface. The PD patch was controlled with a Lemur on Ipad with OSC through wifi.
All the sounds I used were recorded on ardour and mastered with jamin.
At the moment, KX is really the most stable distribution I used. Great job!
Kubuntu 22.04
KX repositories
KDE Plasma Version: 5
Kernel Version: 5.15-lowlatency (64-bit)
Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 31.1 Gio of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics / Nvidia Quadro T500 Mobile
Jack2
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Yeah it works good. Last song I put together I was running 1.3ms latency which works great with just ardour. I started running ardour and audacity at the same time for mastering and got a few xruns but running 2 daws at the sametime with a 2002 m audio delta 1010 at 1.3ms and just getting a few xruns is pretty impressive.