Loading Windows VSTs within Carla

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Loading Windows VSTs within Carla

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote:
Capoeira wrote:why doesn't this work on Arch? carla-discovery-xxx packages are not available.
The Windows bridges rely on a full mingw setup (mingw gcc + liblo + linuxsampler + fluidsynth + libsnfile + qt4, maybe even more), something that is not easily done.
I have this setup for KXStudio for now, but I'll create some AUR packages when things get more stable.
Currently the Carla UI is not even finished, and this has some bugs, so it's not worth it yet.

Still, you can get pre-compiled packages here:
https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+a ... er=precise

I understand.
I can wait....it's surely worth it.
I was just curious to try it out.
once you made the AUR packages I happily will be available for testing those
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

I took a closer look at the discovery process and I noticed that it is wine that crashes and only when trying to scan guitar rig x64. Other plugins from NI are successfully scanned but none can be run, they always crash. Strange, because some of them (like FM8 x64 or Reactor x64) run flawlessly with just wine. Anyway, don't treat my post as some kind of request etc. I just inform you how does it work here. It's up to you whether you fix it or when. Thanks for your work!

edit:
There is another problem with Windows VST (x86). When I start Carla as a part of a Studio in Claudia I can't add win32 plugins. There is an error popup saying that JACK must be in multiclient mode. I checked Carla settings and "process mode" is set to "multiple clients". I have not found any option regarding multiclient mode in JACK Settings in Claudia. However, I can start ZynSubFX without issues. I don't understand :(
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

falkTX wrote:ladish can't handle apps with more than 1 jack client right now. I know about this so when Carla runs inside ladish in multi-client mode it's automatically changed to single-client.
nedko is working on this (in ladish). I don't know how much time we have to wait for it, but once he pushes the code to git, I'll update the kxstudio packages for testing.
Ok, but why ZynAddSubFX works and bridged plugins don't? Aren't they the same in terms of being jack clients?
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

I see, thanks. So I will have to use stanalone versions of NI plugins with wine or wait for ladish update. No problem ;)
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

FalkTX, is it technically possible to use Carla code to make a linux vst plugin that wraps other windows vst? (not a request, just a question).
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

This would save the day... I hope this will be done soon. I would donate for this... within my budget of course. Maybe there are other people who would like to see this done sooner than later and would donate too?

Also what kind of plugin? I am interested in using it with renoise which supports VST and DSSI IIRC.
Archlinux on desktop pc.
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

Hit something rather odd:

If I try to load a Windows VST in Carla by using Application/Add New in Claudia, I get:
"Failed to load plugin. Can only use bridged plugins in JACK Multi-Client mode."

If I open Carla directly from Cadence, no such error.
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

Ok, cheers for explaining it again :)
kanpio
Established Member

Post by kanpio »

Hi, I haven't been using kxstudio apps for some time. Yesterday I installed Kubuntu 12.10 and added kxstudio repositories. I installed carla, carla-bridge-linux32, carla-bridge-win32, wineasio. When I try to find new plugins, carla-discovery-poosix64, carla-discovery-win32, carla-discovery-win64 are marked as not-available. And checkboxes for Linux 64 bit, Windows 32bit and Windows 64bit are greyed. Did I miss some package?
kanpio
Established Member

Post by kanpio »

Ok, understood, thanks. Any estimates on having this working?
kanpio
Established Member

Post by kanpio »

falkTX wrote:
kanpio wrote:Any estimates on having this working?
Hard to say. I do want this feature working again on the next KXStudio ISO, which if all goes well should happen at the end of this month.
That's great. Good luck!
kanpio
Established Member

Post by kanpio »

falkTX wrote:
kanpio wrote:Any estimates on having this working?
Hard to say. I do want this feature working again on the next KXStudio ISO, which if all goes well should happen at the end of this month.
How's the progress?
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Are we there yet?

I'm asking because Carla seemed to be trying to grab my WinVST's after I gave it the path and refreshed. Wine popped up with complaints and there's some log info. Let me know if you want the errors.

I'm using Non Daw, and to replace both Patchage and Festige with Carla would be great.

P.S. I love Non so much I built it from source yesterday (what a pain! I miss Arch and the AUR sometimes.). There seems to have been a lot of work done and I'm happy with everything except Non-Sequencer; I actually had to roll back to the KxStudio version of it because it was so buggy. I thought I'd let you know; in case you were thinking of updating the Non packages.

P.P.S. I'm a big fan of what you do also. It blows me away that with my ancient laptop and free software (my VST's are demos - SampleTank and Amplitube) I'm making music I'm happy with and I'm actually doing it on Linux; thank you very much.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
Guest One
Established Member

Post by Guest One »

Will this feature be optional or wine will be mandatory for Carla?
Guest One
Established Member

Post by Guest One »

So, can i install Carla without wine?