Cadence Died - Fixed

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Cadence Died - Fixed

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

After an evening of messing around with messed up grub, and finally sorting it, some music would have been nice...

My long, long stable and trusty Cadence is not running at all.

You can tell, I've been system messing, but all through the grub problems I know that cadence was active (running minimised) because I was clicking on it to check which kernel I'd booted. None of that should have affected any KXStudio stuff. Only thing is the boot screen got changed, from KXStudio to Ubuntu 11.04. I clicked on Plymouth Manager to try and change that, which it didn't, but there might have been side effects.

I've run the welcome script and rebooted several times. I re-installed Cadence. I've restored the .config/Cadence files from last backup. I've screamed but even that didn't help.

This is 11.04 --- which means, I know, that FalkTX is not wanting to spend time on it. It's just that some of us like to keep a good thing going.

Code: Select all

$  uname -r
2.6.38-8-lowlatency
 $  cadence
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.52:/org/jackaudio/Controller: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 1805, in <module>
    gui = CadenceMainW()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 698, in __init__
    if (DBus.jack and DBus.jack.IsStarted()):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Even a suggestion as to what I might re-install would be helpful
Last edited by Thad E Ginathom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: Cadence Died

...Much the same

$  cadence-session-start -s
  File "/usr/bin/cadence-session-start", line 250, in <module>
    sys.exit(startSession())
  File "/usr/bin/cadence-session-start", line 138, in startSession
    startJack()
  File "/usr/bin/cadence-session-start", line 165, in startJack
    DBus.jack.StartServer()
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I seem to have broken something in the start-up process, possibly pre-login?
I wondered if catia might show something (especially as there is a crackle coming out of one speaker!)

$  catia
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.98:/org/jackaudio/Controller: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/catia.py", line 874, in <module>
    gui = CatiaMainW()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/catia.py", line 197, in __init__
    if (DBus.jack and DBus.jack.IsStarted()):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
    **keywords)
    message, timeout)

$  ps -ef | grep jack
nick      3088     1  2 02:52 ?        00:00:13 /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
nick      3240  2994  0 03:00 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto jack
 $  ps -ef | grep dbus
102       1174     1  0 02:50 ?        00:00:00 dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart
nick      2633  2240  0 02:50 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session --session=classic-gnome
nick      2636     1  0 02:50 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session --session=classic-gnome
nick      2637     1  0 02:50 ?        00:00:00 //bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
nick      3088     1  2 02:52 ?        00:00:14 /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
nick      3090     1  0 02:52 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/a2jmidid dbus
nick      3244  2994  0 03:00 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto dbus
 $ 
The hardware is still running fine, playing nicely over in 12.04 --- but I hadn't felt quite able to shift there yet, my MATE experiments being a bit scruffy Cadence development being in flux
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

I don't have another desktop environment in this version: it is nicely tailored to the desktop that I like.

I'll have a look at dbus and ibus.

<next> removed ibus, which doesn't look line anything I'd want anyway. No result.

A Thought about boot-repair stuff...

Would running dpkg -configure -a have upset the KXStudio config? If so, how to easily undo? If not by command/editing, then by reinstall of some basic KXS component?

I've broken something at the startup, pre-login stage, I think --- because the KXS flash has gone and I'm getting Ubuntu flash. By the way, at the hight of my grub troubles, update-grub was not giving me a desktop for 11.04 at all: just a text boot and a terminal login.
<next>
--- Tried restart dbus. That was a bad idea: desktop disappears!
<net>
reinstalled KX-default-settings (and ran welcome)
:cry:

I'm beginning to think that if I really want this working system back, I either have to re-install or restore my last / backup.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

It lives.

After restoring from my tar files from a few weeks ago (all data on different file systems) and having another fight with grub.

In an ideal world, one would have reference documentation that tells how stuff works, and what files figure in what way. However, that doesn't happen (in anything like full) even in Ubuntu.

Anyway, I don't know what the problem actually was, which is often the case, but the message of the day is to always have recent backups from which one can rebuild an entire system, root, and home configuration files. This time, I was lucky.

Now I can load all the upgrades in 12.04 and see if they still work with my firewire card and my MATE desktop :)