KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Official support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: falkTX, khz, MattKingUSA

wolftune
Establlshed Member

Re: KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Postby wolftune » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:30 pm

I saw the earlier post, but it mentioned "right now", so is that to say Neon stable isn't an option currently or some other thing, where if I wait I can later get regular Neon and the audio patched stuff?

Otherwise, why not make the file indexer an *option* in KXStudio, just off by default?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

sysrqer
Establlshed Member

Postby sysrqer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm

falkTX wrote:(completely! you can't even enable it anymore)

Really? When did that start? I haven't updated to the new base yet but can't imagine that would change much in this respect.
edit: oh wait, I misread your post. You can't enable it?! Just as well really.

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 am

wolftune wrote:is that to say Neon stable isn't an option currently or some other thing, where if I wait I can later get regular Neon and the audio patched stuff?

lets see if I can clear this...

Neon does not provide an image which uses its LTS repos, so for regular users it is just not an available option.
Anyone that installs Neon the usual way (via ISO), will be on the "latest" non-LTS repos.

The packages I build and patch things for are the LTS ones.
Because the "latest" are more up to date compared to LTS packages, things I patch for KDE in that PPA won't be an option for regular Neon users.

I won't support the non-LTS packages patching at anytime ever.
Even keeping up with the LTS stuff is already quite the work.
Hopefully nothing major breaks between updates...

wolftune wrote:why not make the file indexer an *option* in KXStudio, just off by default?

I had issues with this before, where it would still be used in some way even if disabled.
I feel better not having it, really dislike services doing random stuff "behind my back" (I mean, without being directly triggered by the user).
When it comes a time where you need your PC in "performance mode", then you have to go and manually disable a bunch of things to make sure they dont get in the way... (then enabling it all back again after you are done). err, too much of a pain.
We can live without the file indexer and automatic update checker.

wolftune
Establlshed Member

Postby wolftune » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Does plain quick file and directory search by name work in Dolphin without the file indexer?

Aside from that, I get your point. KXStudio is thus one ISO option to actually have KDE LTS (which seems like a good thing for sure).
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

millerthegorilla
Establlshed Member

Postby millerthegorilla » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Awww, I just installed and then updated only to be presented with no workable desktop, systemsettings removed or inoperable and kde-module-qml-plasma-kicker. (or something similar) reported as missing when I tried to open the start menu.

Everything started fine as normal when I first installed and it all looked good though, I just can't update if I want to use it.

I'm guessing that this is reported above - the lack of file indexer kf5-baloo is causing the package kde-plasma-desktop to be uninstallable (or something like that - I'm back on Osx now).

Installed without updating, the only thing that I have noticed is that a force-restart in cadence starts the alsa plugin by default and the resource usage increases from 0.8 per cent to over 6 per cent. Also, on my Mac, there seems to be quite a lot of jitter. Perhaps that is the file-indexer.

There is a config file for balloo. Perhaps you could either leave it as installed and switch off the indexing or have a script that will switch off unnecessary services including baloo when doing sensitive audio work. I often create this to cut down on jitter for live recording, with a desktop launcher on the desktop to start audio work (close down unnecessary programs) and stop audio work (to turn them back on again).

millerthegorilla
Establlshed Member

Postby millerthegorilla » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 am

Hey falktx,

Would you be able to provide us with a list of GitHub issue tracker addresses indicating where to report information, perhaps pinned at the top of the forum where we can find it please?

Cheers!

gennargiu
Establlshed Member

Postby gennargiu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 am

Hi , the link for download iso beta kxstudio 18.04 don't start :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - 2 partition : 1) Windows 10 Home 64 bit- 2 ) - Debian Stretch 9 + Repo kxstudio - Ardour 5,12 - Mixbus 4.3.19
Asus X54c - Debian Stretch+Repo kx Studio-Ardour 5.12- Mixbus 4.3.19-RPI3 +Raspbian Stretch

Return to “KXStudio Discussion”