Android client app for musicserver op laptop

This section is dedicated to applications and configurations for the Google Android OS.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Android client app for musicserver op laptop

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

dirkjanl wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote: You sure that IP address is correct? Maybe you need to restart the Samba on the Linux computer (or the computer itself).
You are so right! it is 192.168.178.19.

But, Unknown host.
I set http://192.168.178.19
and without the http
And I can not reach for the shared folder from my other linux laptop.
This week I will go over everything from the beginning.

Greetings!
I hope you're not using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca (a really old version of Mint!) like me: Samba appears to be broken there.
dirkjanl
Established Member

Post by dirkjanl »

I'am using a laptop with AP-Linux (Arch based) for my music. https://www.ap-linux.com/
On my other computers I use LinuxMint 18.3.

Greetings,
Laptop Clevo N240BU 14", HD Graphics 620, Intel i7-7500U, RAM 16GB, Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon-64 bit
Vaste PC Intel i7-6700, Nvidea Geoforce GT730 4 gb, 16 GB RAM, Asus B250M moederbord. Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon-64 bit
niketsurve

Post by niketsurve »

Thanks for the updates.
dirkjanl
Established Member

Post by dirkjanl »

I nearly stopped searching to a good solution. But
I re-installed Linux Mint 18.3 on my testing laptop. Installed Samba, shared my Music folder with NEMO rightclick.
et Voila, it is shared over the network and I can see it in VLC. Playing the music is wirth gaps, but it works!

Next week next step.
Laptop Clevo N240BU 14", HD Graphics 620, Intel i7-7500U, RAM 16GB, Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon-64 bit
Vaste PC Intel i7-6700, Nvidea Geoforce GT730 4 gb, 16 GB RAM, Asus B250M moederbord. Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon-64 bit
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

dirkjanl wrote:I nearly stopped searching to a good solution. But
I re-installed Linux Mint 18.3 on my testing laptop. Installed Samba, shared my Music folder with NEMO rightclick.
et Voila, it is shared over the network and I can see it in VLC. Playing the music is wirth gaps, but it works!

Next week next step.
How weird that you had to re-install Mint for Samba to work. But I'm glad you nailed it!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Congratulations on getting it to work!

I have run into similar weirdness with Samba running on different systems. I used to run a NAS server which was Linux Mint 17.something, and when I decided to make it a headless server I spent some time removing Xorg and all of the GUI apps. It worked great as a Samba server, and all of my Linux boxen and Android devices could access it. Then a few months ago I upgraded to a minimal Debian system, with only the base system plus ssh and Samba installed. My Linux boxen all connect well to it, but for some reason since the upgrade my Android devices will no longer connect and I couldn't figure out why. I don't really care that much because it turns out to be more efficient for my purposes to transfer files using a USB storage device that plugs into the phone, so I haven't gone into the weeds with troubleshooting. Maybe some detail in smb.conf that I'm overlooking. Whatever.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

milo wrote:Congratulations on getting it to work!

I have run into similar weirdness with Samba running on different systems. I used to run a NAS server which was Linux Mint 17.something, and when I decided to make it a headless server I spent some time removing Xorg and all of the GUI apps. It worked great as a Samba server, and all of my Linux boxen and Android devices could access it. Then a few months ago I upgraded to a minimal Debian system, with only the base system plus ssh and Samba installed. My Linux boxen all connect well to it, but for some reason since the upgrade my Android devices will no longer connect and I couldn't figure out why. I don't really care that much because it turns out to be more efficient for my purposes to transfer files using a USB storage device that plugs into the phone, so I haven't gone into the weeds with troubleshooting. Maybe some detail in smb.conf that I'm overlooking. Whatever.
That's also weird. I'm on a Mint 17.1 system right now and Samba don't work. Sometimes Win 10 can see the share, but trying to write to a file made it a 0 byte file, in fact deleting all contents! Pretty serious stuff!. Installed Debian 10 on an old Asus eeePC and on that one Samba works just fine.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirkjanl
Established Member

Post by dirkjanl »

Still looking for a good solution. Samba did not work well. Now I am installing minidlna on my laptop with AP-linux. I've installed minidlna and tomorrow i'am going to configure the config file..
I will let you know.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Minidnla worked fine here.

Our main system is a Logitech Media Server, formerly Squeezebox Server. It's Open Source and originally designed for the Squeezebox hardware. But there are several programs (squeezelite)and apps. Some apps work both as player and as controller, e.g. iPeng for iPhone.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

To be sure because I've not seen it mentioned in the thread so far, but MPD has its own http streaming system - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mu ... _streaming - that M.A.L.P. supports - https://gitlab.com/gateship-one/malp/-/wikis/FAQ

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh