Haven: Keep Watch - Snowden’s New App (GPLv3)

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Haven: Keep Watch - Snowden’s New App (GPLv3)

Post by khz »

# https://guardianproject.github.io/haven/

Haven is for people who need a way to protect their personal spaces and possessions without compromising their own privacy, through an Android app and on-device sensors
Haven is for people who need a way to protect their personal spaces and possessions without compromising their own privacy. It is an Android application that leverages on-device sensors to provide monitoring and protection of physical spaces. Haven turns any Android phone into a motion, sound, vibration and light detector, watching for unexpected guests and unwanted intruders. We designed Haven for investigative journalists, human rights defenders, and people at risk of forced disappearance to create a new kind of herd immunity. By combining the array of sensors found in any smartphone, with the world’s most secure communications technologies, like Signal and Tor, Haven prevents the worst kind of people from silencing citizens without getting caught in the act.

# Introducing Haven >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr0wEsISRUw

# https://github.com/guardianproject/have ... er/LICENSE
guardianproject/haven is licensed under the
GNU General Public License v3.0

Permissions of this strong copyleft license are conditioned on making available complete source code of licensed works and modifications, which include larger works using a licensed work, under the same license. Copyright and license notices must be preserved. Contributors provide an express grant of patent rights.
# https://github.com/guardianproject/haven#attributions
This project contains source code or library dependencies from the follow projects:
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Brynildsen
Established Member

Re: Haven: Keep Watch - Snowden’s New App (GPLv3)

Post by Brynildsen »

I really try to understand what it is.. but everytime I read about it or watch yt videos that explains about haven, I just keep getting dumber and dumber. For some weird reason my BS detector is ringing on this one. Again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-blKKLgljY
"Arch/i3-wm/Bitwig/Renoise/Guitarix/Airwave/a couple of winVST's"
"i7-6700K 4ghz, gtx910ti, 16gb ram" + "X201s-i7-640LM 2.13ghz, 8gb ram"
"Presonus 22vsl + Scarlett 2i2 2.gen."
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Maybe I don't understand your contribution or wrongly, but I live in Germany where - an example of many in world history - something like this (control) was tried around 1930. By the way, they were also very open-minded and interested in the mystical, esoteric and supernatural and so on, in the negative sense IMHO.
At the moment it looks almost worse than it was then, only more colorful.
Clearly, what is being attempted is laughable on a meta level, control has the persons also only conditionally or only within their small perceptible horizon with primitive tools. Nevertheless, this can kill millions of people.
Collecting data (collectors and hunters) and "parts and rule" as well as newly acquired knowledge (e. g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRISPR) can be used by people for everything.(, positive and negative.)
Looking away to stay with me (German) can have consequences.
Snowden will probably be on the run all his life long, lonely and surprising / unexpectedly in the stranger where he (event) is accidentally stranded die, fate?
However, since it is available under GPLv3, anyone who wants to get involved in what can be an enrichment in the ideal case.
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

I get your point.. but.. This should never have been posted in here on a music forum. For me music, art, hobbies, science, programming is a "safe haven" from politics, religion, fear mongering, breaking news, the boogieman etc. When I make music I have no other mission than, telling a story or making people have a good time and headbang in their cars.

Btw,, never forget those words once spoken by a dude that I don't like too much..: "In order to control the opposition, we must lead it ourselves." And never forget that the powers that be, their think-tanks and three letter agencies are also very aware of this.
"Arch/i3-wm/Bitwig/Renoise/Guitarix/Airwave/a couple of winVST's"
"i7-6700K 4ghz, gtx910ti, 16gb ram" + "X201s-i7-640LM 2.13ghz, 8gb ram"
"Presonus 22vsl + Scarlett 2i2 2.gen."
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I don't want to spread fear!

If my post should not fit in here then I ask another moderator to move or delete this thread.

Which is why I posted it here:
  • I used to be a punk. Well, my music has always been with me:
    Brynildsen wrote:When I make music, I have no other mission than to tell a story.
    Meta: Art, science,... was, historically seen, often "too" ~critical (classic modern, geocentric view of the world, forest).
  • I also use computer technology to make music. And thanks to GNU/Linux Gentoo I can optimize some things (broken).
  • GNU/Linux lives through - hopefully driven by benevolent, creative and transparent - hacking. This includes its environment (hardware, communication with/under each other) and the software, the code,.... to learn to understand and.... .
I had no malicious intentions!
:freedom:

Best regards,
khz
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Snowden's app isn't much use really. A smartphone is inherently a spying device.

The only way to offer a little bit of protection to your personal space is to get rid of "smart" phones and all kinds of stupid IOT (Internet of Things) devices (also things like Amazon Echo) and to stay away from data collectors like Google & Facebook & Twitter who are all Letter (Intelligence) Agency front organisations.

No "app" can solve such problems, only the person can. And the only way to do it is to avoid using their electronic bait and toys as much as possible.

Using a BSD or Linux operating system is a good start. Not perfect but much better than Windows or Mac. (Even here it can be dangerous as the experience with Ubuntu showed after they were caught keystroke logging PC's.)

Using an old style "dumb" phone helps a little bit too. The calls and sms messages can of course be intercepted, but at least it doesn't generate so much data for the Intelligence Agencies and Corporations to mine.

Staying away from social media like Facebook is a must. In the former East Germany the State employed thousands of people to spy on citizens and to manually record (write down) everything about their habits and behaviour. Through Facebook and similar organisations all this data collection is automated and volunteered by the very users who are being spied on! Insanity. People snitch on themselves, families and friends and they are all OK with it, and they don't even realise it, or if they do, they don't care because they are all happy free range slaves.

The influencing of opinion and brainwashing through social media by powerful institutions and tycoons is also on the increase. Bot armies of fake accounts already exist which simulate "real" user accounts and interact with unsuspecting people. These are used to manufacture consent and generate online consensus through which to influence other people.

Apps and magic fixes cannot solve such problems. Only human behaviour and choices can.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

THX asbak for a personal public critical opinion!

And in addition, an active/living consciousness is to learn to recognize and understand one's environment in comparison/ discussion with other people, very useful if not even indispensable.
~Trails.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Good summation from asbak.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

In The Morning, asbak! :D
protozone
Established Member

It's a good idea. Thanks

Post by protozone »

I think the app is a good idea, and Mr. Snowden is a good gentleman who was unfairly treated and set up. His social contributions are mainly only known by those who took the effort to research how the claims against him were false.

Nevertheless, I like this kind of app. It's the kind of tool that could help people monitor against people breaking into their apartment while they are gone... something that actually happened to me quite a lot at a previous residence I had in the wrong part of town.

I really think it's a good idea. It's just that a lot of people only know the misinfo about Snowden.
Someday he ought to be exhonerated, really.

I like the idea of taking all those annoying sensors and stuff that usually are hard to disable and putting them back into the hands of the consumers, for something that helps THEM, not the people hacking our systems constantly.

Peace.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

khz wrote:Maybe I don't understand your contribution or wrongly, but I live in Germany where - an example of many in world history - something like this (control) was tried around 1930.
Germany 2018 is a STASI Police State.

Not much has changed in that regard. Nor will it, for the forseeable future.
By the way, I'm not having a go at Germany, the situation across much of Western Europe is very similar.
News and media are tightly controlled by insider mafias, the "wrong" kind of news is heavily suppressed and self-censored by the media mafias.

For what it's worth, and I've pointed this out before, trying to "beat" the authorities with apps or clever computer tricks is a fool's errand. They have billions of euros worth of resources and manpower to bring to the party. The opposition has minute resources by comparison.

A lot of IT hardware is backdoored, at the hardware layer. Good luck trying to beat that with any "app". And so it goes.

Real privacy and anonymity is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain, it's basically a losing battle. The authorities and the people who own and control them are forcing us to be registered for everything, there's not many places to hide or turn to. Cash is being phased out. Transactions are tracked.

In my view all that's left is to lead a double life. Maintain one life showing them all the things you want them to see. Lead another life, where the things the authorities better not see are hidden from view. And by hidden from view, I mean hidden from any kind of Internet connected device like a smartphone, webcam, Amazon Echo type device, smart IOT lightbulb (lol) or whatever.

As Orwell said about the future, imagine a boot stomping on your face for eternity. Well, we're almost there and I'm not exaggerating.

My 2c.... don't place faith or trust in apps or anything connected to a smartphone when it comes to maintaining your privacy. It's futile.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I think few of you guys might haven't actually bothered to open up the link and read what that is about. It is an app intended to automatically record videos and audio from a device and upload them publicly, so that a person of interest that gets kidnapped or abused by authorities can automatically gather proof of the event. It is -not- about securing your phone from cyber attacks.
Haven is for people who need a way to protect their personal spaces and possessions without compromising their own privacy. It is an Android application that leverages on-device sensors to provide monitoring and protection of physical spaces. Haven turns any Android phone into a motion, sound, vibration and light detector, watching for unexpected guests and unwanted intruders. We designed Haven for investigative journalists, human rights defenders, and people at risk of forced disappearance to create a new kind of herd immunity. By combining the array of sensors found in any smartphone, with the world’s most secure communications technologies, like Signal and Tor, Haven prevents the worst kind of people from silencing citizens without getting caught in the act.
Whether this software works as advertised, or has some backdoor of some kind, is for you to check. It is open source, you can literally read the code. No need for faith.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

There's nothing more that needs to be read or understood apart from the simple, basic, universal truth that Android is a spy platform designed and built from the ground up by Google (who has very close connections to the Pentagon & CIA) to spy on and collect intel on you. 24/7/365.

That is just the Base OS, we're not even talking about all the "apps" people will download and install and assign permissions to fish data out of every orifice, whether they do this voluntarily or involuntarily. 99.9% of users will be ratting themselves out just by how they use and interact with the phone. Even the .1% who think they are smart and have all the bases covered to beat the system are probably just deluding themselves.

No "app" or any "hey wow look this is a Privacy App!!" will change that. Android is, was and will forever be a ubiquitous spy platform. Case closed. Slam dunk.

Using Android, and any "apps" and deluding themselves that they are maintaining their privacy is a sport for gullible people. People who have secrets to protect better find other ways to do it.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Brynildsen wrote:I get your point.. but.. This should never have been posted in here on a music forum.
I've moved the post from "Android Audio" to "Backstage", seems to fit a little better.
Brynildsen wrote:For me music, art, hobbies, science, programming is a "safe haven" from politics, religion, fear mongering, breaking news, the boogieman etc.
It can be - but it can also be a powerful tool to communicate and share ideas and values. It's no coincidence genres like "protest song", "religious music", etc exist.

You can have your music with or without politics - up to you ;).
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I grew up with Zappa. :-D
Want to listen to Zappa 24/7? Here it is! The stream's up all day. >> https://www.norbert.de/index.php?id=10&L=2
Lyrics >> http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Album_History