Caustic 3

This section is dedicated to applications and configurations for the Google Android OS.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JSantos
Established Member

Caustic 3

Post by JSantos »

Anybody ever tried it? I've really been getting great results with it to be honest. The OTG to MIDI keyboard feature had me sit down in a coffee shop for hours crafting ideas.
JSantos
Established Member

Re: Caustic 3

Post by JSantos »

Bumping up!

I'd really love to hear your stuff guys. This is something which I think is kind of breathtaking.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

I tried it again (used to have a v2 license) last week end after seeing raving reviews on the Renoise FB group - that some chaps were able to get some real job done with it.
But I still don't like it. Sounds to my hears like a plastic toy, sequencer doesn't seems to support live looping, just linear boredom (although I can understand this appeals to the FL crowd).
I quickly went back to https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ioid&hl=en which is far more pleasant for doodling around.
witchspace
Established Member

Post by witchspace »

it's nice to play around with, cool that it's possible these days to have such a versatile instrument in your pocket. I'm a child of the 80's so it impresses me :D Of course it lacks the flexibility of Carla+qtractor+a ton of LV2 plugins, and probably the limited processing power puts constraints on sound quality, but I don't agree it sounds like a toy.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Can anyone here run Caustic 3 on Linux, preferably on Debian?

It runs for me, but I can't get any sound from it. In fact, the playback needle won't even move when playing a track.

I've been able to make version 2 run on Ubuntu a long time. When 3 came out, I had moved to Debian and it's never worked for me. I've tried everything I could.

There is a newer version with different graphical libraries, but I always wanted to run version 3.1.0 in case someone wants to try:

http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/downl ... taller.exe
northwood
Established Member

Post by northwood »

I have a license, but pattern sequencing is not really my thing, I purchased it because it was cool, and still play around a little with it... will have to dig up a tune made with it and post it somewhere. 8)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Luc wrote:Can anyone here run Caustic 3 on Linux, preferably on Debian?
I tried to run it on Ubuntu 16.04. It started, GUI shows, but then nothing. Mouse cursor is not shown, and app does nothing.
Wine prints error:
err:wgl:glxdrv_wglShareLists Recreating OpenGL context to share display lists, although the context has been current!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Funny that someone bumped this thread today. I tried Caustic again for the heck of it just a few hours ago, and... it worked! :shock: It finally worked.

New version? No. Actually, the 3.2 series still doesn't work at all, but 3.1 does. Whatever changed was something in my Wine installation. I must have installed some DLL or changed something in the config. No idea. I just know it works, and it's freaking awesome. It's like having a whole new synth, and a very powerful one. It's too bad most people can't run it.

If you still can't run it, I suggest doing what I used to do before: run it on a phone or tablet, connect the device's output to your audio card or interface and use it as external hardware. It's worth it.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Luc wrote:Actually, the 3.2 series still doesn't work at all, but 3.1 does.

Is that available from somewhere still?
Luc wrote:If you still can't run it, I suggest doing what I used to do before: run it on a phone or tablet, connect the device's output to your audio card or interface and use it as external hardware. It's worth it.
It is definitely nice, but small touch screens are not my cup of tea. Therefore I would prefer to get is running on my computer, one way or another. Even tried to start my old virtual windows. After one hour, not up yet. After night, it had suspended himself. And now it has been trying to resume for 45 mins.

Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

tavasti wrote:
Luc wrote:Actually, the 3.2 series still doesn't work at all, but 3.1 does.

Is that available from somewhere still?
Yes. http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/node/5249
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote:
Luc wrote:Can anyone here run Caustic 3 on Linux, preferably on Debian?
I tried to run it on Ubuntu 16.04. It started, GUI shows, but then nothing. Mouse cursor is not shown, and app does nothing.
Wine prints error:
err:wgl:glxdrv_wglShareLists Recreating OpenGL context to share display lists, although the context has been current!
Ok, and not I got it working. 'winetricks vcrun2013' and it works. It was using some wine internally provided version or something, and now it works!

Latest version, 3.2!

tapenade
Established Member

Re: Caustic 3 (& G Stomper Rhythm)

Post by tapenade »

I got Caustic to work on a WalMart "ONN" 7 inch tablet. It was pretty good, but I got upset with the trialware mode since I could not export my tune to any other place.

G Stomper Rhythm (free) turned out to be able to export and save and is free.
However, I let go of the tablet system so I could get a computer instead.

Most of the free android apps I was finding were adware.

I really do like G Stomper, though.
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Caustic is nice, and worth that price they are asking. I've made few compositions with it when traveling without computer.

Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

I've been using it for a couple of years now as a scratch pad. I like step sequencing, and it can export midi so I find it pretty useful, although I just started using Koala Sampler and I haven't opened caustic since.

I guess I used Caustic more when I had a tablet but I'm on a phone these days (tablet battery died, not replaceable although I do use it for touchosc it just has to be plugged in). The interface is a bit fiddly for a 5" screen.

For the price, it has a lot of stuff built into it. But I rarely use the sounds from it, I just jot down melodies and basslines or drum beats when I'm out and about.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Natelok wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:22 am For the price, it has a lot of stuff built into it. But I rarely use the sounds from it, I just jot down melodies and basslines or drum beats when I'm out and about.
One thing to note is that it has sf2 and sfz support. I used sonatina or some other free orchestral stuff with it.