graphically GtkControllers

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

graphically GtkControllers

Post by brummer »

Hi

I would ask here if there are some graphicall artists out there those would like to create some nice looking controllers like knobs, slider's and toggle button.
I have write a c++ class (and will publish it at puplic domane) witch can use any pixmap(jpg,png,. . ) to build the controllers for a application.
Now I need some nice 3D pixmaps to fill it with life.
To give a example what I meen look here:
http://testbit.eu/~timj/historic/q10skins.gif
and here:
http://www.zenadsl6252.zen.co.uk/dotknob/

(those examples are not my)

regards brummer
studio32

Re: graphically GtkControllers

Post by studio32 »

What kind of apps do such artist use? gimp, blender or something total different? Maybe you can ask it on such a apps mailinglist...

success!
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

brummer wrote:Hi
I would ask here if there are some graphicall artists out there those would like to create some nice looking controllers like knobs, slider's and toggle button.
I could probably make some things for you. I assume you're looking for animation frames so that you could make them slide/turn smoothly? Do you have sizes you need or prefer?
brummer

Post by brummer »

hi ntnunk

That will be great, what I first looking for is a nice knob, size beetween 32*32 or 100*100 (thats real big, like you find it in many VSTI's.)
Best with a transparent background, I need the single frames from an animation in one pixmap.
A knob (from 32*32 with 100 frames will fit in a png from 3200*32) and will turn smooth 300 degree
A toggle button only need 2 frames.
A slider (20*120) will also slide smooth with 100 frames.

I am not sure about the frame rate, I have only one knob here to check it out, maybe also 50 frames will be enough?
Anyway, the heigh,width, and frame rate will give as an argument to the build class, so it is independ from a special format.

best brummer
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

brummer wrote:hi ntnunk

That will be great, what I first looking for is a nice knob, size beetween 32*32 or 100*100 (thats real big, like you find it in many VSTI's.)
Best with a transparent background, I need the single frames from an animation in one pixmap.
A knob (from 32*32 with 100 frames will fit in a png from 3200*32) and will turn smooth 300 degree
A toggle button only need 2 frames.
A slider (20*120) will also slide smooth with 100 frames.

I am not sure about the frame rate, I have only one knob here to check it out, maybe also 50 frames will be enough?
Anyway, the heigh,width, and frame rate will give as an argument to the build class, so it is independ from a special format.

best brummer
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I can definitely handle this and I'll get started on it this week. I should have something for you by next weekend.
freqrush
Established Member

Post by freqrush »

I've got some knobs and background of a previous project here, an attempt to make a ShermanFilterbank Vst, (ab)use them as you like. The images are made with KnobMan for SynthEdit, both windows only programs afaik. The background was made in Inkscape.

And here are also the images I made for our entry for KVR DC 2007 "Frequency Filtered Delay".
That's a skin I made using Blender and The GIMP. (screenshot)
In case you want to check the .blend files I saved, go here.
I remember I used some GIMP script for making panorama pictures to stitch the blender-rendered images together in one strip.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Thanks freqrush

I will use the switch2.png . . have add a LED to it, looks good.
For the Knobs, I have allready make some in Gimp, and give them a 3D view with Light and Bumpmapping. My PC is to slow for Blender :roll:
Now I search some nice Sliders and scrollweels.
Your screenshot looks realy great, unfortunatly I cant open(download) the files you have made for KVR DC 2007.

So thanks again, let me please know if you can give permission to open the files, or if you have some nice slider/weels

regards hermann
freqrush
Established Member

Post by freqrush »

Glad you like it :)
I've set the right permissions now, and also uploaded some other files, created for SynthEdit, but it looks like they're also useful for other projects, so maybe the synthedit-users group is also a good place to go looking. (btw: SE on linux - topic :wink: )
Overview of my online skins:
FFD -> skinfiles of Frequency Filtered Delay (non-transparent background :| )
ADSR-knobs -> A, D, S, R letters inside a ring knob - screenshot
freqrush-se-skin -> here are 2 small horiz/vert sliders, based on the standard SynthEdit sliders. Also in red and green, but a bit small imho.
red-green-greenleds-SE-knobs -> more knobs, and a ring of green leds for around any other knob
FFB -> Freqrush (Sherman) Filterbank GUI

I didn't make a scrollwheel yet, should it be a sequence, stitched together on a strip like for a knob, or is it like a slider using a masking image and a handle rectangle description? I'm guessing both are possible but the strip would give a more realistic result?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah brummer it looks great dude....
what do you use for the resampling? I got tons of IF files and would like to resample them as my system is set for 48000.
brummer

Post by brummer »

thanks to freqrush, he make the nice looking switch. :D
And the knobs you have made are also great, freqrush, I will use them for other projekts to. In the moment I write a new routine for sliders, the way you suggestet it. Befor that I have used it like Knobs, but, yes, it work also nice when I use gdk_pixbuf_copy_area()

hey funkmuscle, I use libsndfile.so for resampling, you can resample the IR files with guitarix, just select them, and, when the samplerate isn't the same as your jack_sample_rate, you get promt to a resample dialog. The resampled file will get the orginal name, the orginal file get a nameorig.wav name. No need to load them, select the next file you wont to resample, and so on.

hermann
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah freqrush great work....
now all ya need to to make it look like an amp and the looks will really rock...

brummer, I have tons of IF files. I thought you might of used a command line app. An app that would resample a bunch at a time... any such thig out there for linux?
brummer

Post by brummer »

he, I just remember me on a script for sndfile that torgal post in the forum here:
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

maybe that help's
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

Brummer, do you still need any graphics? I've been out of town with work for the last 2 weeks and haven't had time to work on this at all. I finally settled down to create some stuff and came here to get dimensions and the like but it looks like you've already got what you need.
brummer

Post by brummer »

hi ntnunk

On german it's "jain", meens yes and no. :D The GtkReglerClass is work in progress, so new suggestions are welcome. At present I work on buildin fallback graphics to make sure the class can initialise, also if the given pixmap can't find. Also I think about to realisise the Knob with just one pix from the knob, create the sequence in the buffer.
So if you have any kind of graphics for that stuff, they are welcome.

hermann
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

The GtkReglerClass is work in progress, so new suggestions are welcome. At present I work on buildin fallback graphics to make sure the class can initialise, also if the given pixmap can't find.
What graphics do you need or want for the GtkReglerClass? If there's something you need I'll be happy to make it for you.
Also I think about to realisise the Knob with just one pix from the knob, create the sequence in the buffer.
I think what you're saying here is that you'll use just one actual image for the knob, then create a sequence by rotating the knob image programatically? Is this correct? If so, is there anything specific you need the for the knob image?

Noel