guitarix go's midi

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Re: guitarix go's midi

Post by brummer »

Hi

I have reworked the midi out trigger, replaced the BEATDETECTOR class by a simple math structure witch will
match better to the E-Guitar input.
It would be nice if someone could give feedback, if the new midi trigger work better now ?
rev@299

brummer
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

Hi, Brummer. I checked out rev @299. I can get the midi trigger to detect individual beats ok but I don't get much pitch tracking.
I didn't try the earlier version, so I can't say whether its better or worse.
It sounds like its aiming for the note but often not quite hitting the target.
I tried settings recommended in your earlier posts, and others.
For input I used my 6-string elec guitar, clean no fx; and a couple of softsynths. I tried different input gain levels into guitarix.
One symptom is that if I pick the same note on the guitar the midi will play different notes close to, but often not, the right one.
Any suggestions for settings?

re: your comments on jconv
http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... =195#p8288
I understand and agree.

re: "guitarix -- bass" I was thinking more of a default preset rather than an amp sim, but that's a nice idea. Beyond my talents, unfortunately.

re: larger log window, thorgal wrote:
http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... =195#p8342
Cheers, Thorgal! That's great.

re: request for presets: Yeah I will be happy to post some. Because I'm new to guitarix I want to be confident that they are good, so soon....
Can you use presets including IRs?
If so, will you have a standard install directory for IR files?
( jconv needs absolute file paths in its config files? ).

PS qsynth fender rhodes -> guitarix : I got some nice sounds :-)

all the best, G.
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

Nearly forgot: LV2/Ladspa hosting sounds good!

~ G.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi Garry

Thanks for check it out, . .

Yes, the pitch detection is very experimental, it's because I try to simulate a Live Band, not a audio2midi converter. So, indeed guitarix wont send out the exact same Note, I try to wrap around the pitch.
I use it mostly with qsynth/fluidsynth, set one channel to the drum channel (9)(0), and one to the sitar (1)(104).
That gives me a nice jazz/blues background band. The third channel I use for different Instruments, depend one the Style I wone get. With the old Beatdetector, the problem was, that it trigger to fast with E-Guitar input, it have work nice with High-Imp input, but ain't with E-Guitar.

Anyway, I need to replace the pitch detection by a better routine (fft), then it will posible to use it as audio2midi converter also.

To the presets, no, there isn't a path for IR files, so presets published with guitarix couldn't use IR files direct, but we could suggest IR files to the sets, so that everyone can add them by them self.

brummer
brummer

Post by brummer »

hi

I have set a moving filter befor the tuner now, this one will reduce the errors related to the picking.
But anyway, the midi_output isn't all-way's correct, but nice to drive a Background Band.
Also there are some GUI tweaks in SVN now, and a reworked fuzz unit.
rev@305
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

brummer wrote:ps. guitarix look out for a translator (germann > english) to translate some documents
Still looking? If you're not in a hurry, I'm fully bilingual and have some experience as a translator. Just always rather busy.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi!
I have been testing guitarix. Thank you brummer and thorgal. It sounds amazing!
Still, I can't get the sound I really love, but I will go on trying turning knobs and what not. I like the sound of a marshall JCM800,
with the gain, more or less at 85%, little presence, little mids, high bass and treble settings, no reverb and a 4 x 12" cabinet. Brian Baker is my favourite guitar player and the sound he gets in BR is the sound I like the most, but he plays much better than me of course. I like Studio Devil VSTi very much because it very well resembles this sound and it is plug and go, like the Marshall. I hope I can get this sound with guitarix. In fact, it is almost there.

It is very cool that it has jconv integrated, and with a gui! I have noticed that if you load a IR with spaces in their name it is renamed with underscores. However it took me a while to realise why I couldn't load IR's from a folder I downloaded from the internet, folowing advice from Dave Philipps in his guitarix review in linuxjournal. The issue is solved by renaming the folder, leaving out spaces :)

Also, I love the MIDI OUT idea. It works but I cannot predict the note that will sound or if it will sound at all . However, it is funny. I hope you will improve this. Also, I have observed that if jack settings are "on the edge" and I get some xruns, the audio ports of qsynth just disappear! qsynth doesn' crash, just loses its audio ports with no error message :shock: . Go figure. This reminds me, funkmuscle had this problem that he sees the input light in qsynth but there is no audio. The same problem occurs with hydrogen (using hydrogen as a synth).

Keep up the good work and thank you very much!

Pablo.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi Pablo

I don't understand what you mean with jack settings are "on the edge" ?
When you change the latency with guitarix, there are some app's cant handle that, therefor is the warning in guitarix when you do it. Those app's must restart to get the new frame rate.
I never recive Xrun's produce by guitarix, how do you get them ?
The problem funkmuscle have with the midi out is that his guitar produce a to low input level, when you didn't get the tuner to work, you must increase the "capture gain" from your sound-card.
Yup, the midi out is in a very experimental stage, I work on it from time to time.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Ciao brummer, I don't think Pablo meant he got xruns because of guitarix but he just mentioned that when he uses a very tight jack setting (very low buffer size) in general, he loses the qsynth sound. It may have nothing to do with guitarix per se but some internal instability in qsynth (?).

In my experience, guitarix never ever produced an xrun even at super low lat. Only when developing some new code that made it crash :D
brummer

Post by brummer »

have rework the beat detection a bit, the range to set the sensity is grow a bit now.

@thorgal hey :D
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Thank you thorgal, that's what I meant. This test was done ina crappy soundcard anyway, I have yet to test it in my m-audio 2496.

Cheers! Pablo
brummer

Post by brummer »

spm_gl wrote:
brummer wrote:ps. guitarix look out for a translator (germann > english) to translate some documents
Still looking? If you're not in a hurry, I'm fully bilingual and have some experience as a translator. Just always rather busy.
Thanks spm_gl, but in the moment there are no actual documentations available, and I haven't the time to wrote some.