Code::Blocks / Compile Errors ... help?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hudsonm4000
Established Member

Code::Blocks / Compile Errors ... help?

Post by hudsonm4000 »

Hi, I have been been dabbling for a couple of months with with some plugin making on Windows and have now started on Linux (Ubuntu 11.10), but when I try to compile the same code I get errors that I don't know how to fix!

For example, I am trying to get to get the again VST plugin demo from the Steinberg SDK to compile using Code::Blocks. I have successfully done this on a Windows PC, but on Linux it isn't working. I have done everything the same (except directories and linker paths are different), but I am getting errors:

For example, the aeffect.h header file contains this line of code:
126.  typedef VstIntPtr (VSTCALLBACK *AEffectDispatcherProc) (AEffect* effect, VstInt32 opcode, VstInt32 index, VstIntPtr value, void* ptr, float opt);
which is generating this error:
/home/mark/SoftDev/SDK/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h|126|error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token|
Why is the compiler expecting  ‘)’ before ‘*’ ??  It's fine on Win7  and I am using GNU GCC as the compiler for both platforms.

None of the code is mine, it's all just the SDK demo code that I am using as a means of testing a setup for working on Linux. But as it worked on Win7 I need some guidance on what I am missing & what is going wrong here.

Many thanks
Mark
linuxdsp
Established Member

Re: Code::Blocks / Compile Errors ... help?

Post by linuxdsp »

I had some build issues on linux with VST2.4 - it was to do with the way VSTCALLBACK is defined for different compilers / OS etc - see the #ifdefs at the start of the file. If VSTCALLBACK is incorrectly defined for your gcc that will most likely cause the error (or something like it)
hudsonm4000
Established Member

Re: Code::Blocks / Compile Errors ... help?

Post by hudsonm4000 »

Hi linuxdsp.... and many thanks for replying

So although I'm using GNU GCC for both platforms, it may work slightly differently on linux compared to windows?

I will take a look at the VSTCALLBACK definition.

Mark