guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thorgal
Established Member

Re: guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Post by thorgal »

brummer,

just tried out the latest svn version of guitarix. Some improvements :) the more comprehensive setting for each effect is definitely a big plus!

however, there are some bugs :
1- click on the new button to pop up an effect setting window (let's say the freeverb setting window)
2- click on the same button again, the window disappears as expected
3- make it show up again like in step 1- but this time, make the window disappear via the windows manager, i.e. click on the little cross belonging to the window's upper bar
4- try to make the setting window come up again, it won't. The terminal reports some GTK error :

Code: Select all

(guitarix:16922): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkWindow'

(guitarix:16922): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_move: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Other comments :
- is the effect chain order hardcoded ? can you swap effects (say the distorsion before the echo or vice-versa) ?
- you definitely miss a compressor / limiter on the output. I know you're working on converting guitarix into a LADSPA host, but if you deemed the distorsion, freeverb, etc important enough to have them natively in guitarix, I think an efficient compressor / limiter deserves the same treatment. Any comment on this ? or you prefer letting ppl use their favorite comp through the LADSPA import ?

Which makes me think about another thing : will you have a sort of window picturing the effect chain with possibilities to rearrange native and imported effects, and maybe more ? (a bit like jost or similar to patchage) But now, we get into complex stuff and that's not the ambition of guitarix. If you want to keep it simple, that's a good idea as well.
brummer

Post by brummer »

torgal wrote:3- make it show up again like in step 1- but this time, make the window disappear via the windows manager, i.e. click on the little cross belonging to the window's upper bar
Witch windowmanager do you use ? Normal, the settings windows be build explicite without the little cross, for this reason. Also without a hide button. This widget is not create to be controlled from the windowmanager. So, witch one do you use, I will check why a windowmanager build a cross here, note that therefor must be a handling routine to controll the clean destroy of the window, but this one is only destroyed when you shutdown guitarix, otherwise it is just hiden. This save a lot of time and cpu when you run it.

For the host,at first, I planed to build it at input and at output, like you found it in qtractor. Currently I just finish with the browser.

Yea, I think about what you (and funcmuskle) sad, a tube and a compresser could be usefull in guitarix, independend from the host . .

For now the order is hardcoded, but is is not so hard to include a drag&drop option here to select the order.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Hi Brummer,

I use openbox-KDE. If your windows were not supposed to have the usual window manager functions, then there's something wrong going on since I am able to destroy it like any other window.

About the swapping, if it is easy to implement a drag-n-drop (something like a drag of an effect strip to another place in the mixer window), that would be cool. By the way, I suppose your hardcoded order shows up from left to right in the guitarix effect mixer.
brummer

Post by brummer »

oh yea, it's Open Box. :evil: Just check it and see that Open Box dont acept the settings from GTK. So I need a workaround for that, thanks for the hint.

Yes, it's from left to right, neerly. :)
I will post the used order next day's here, . . .
brummer

Post by brummer »

. . . So the effect order in guitarix is as followed.
preamp > gain in > distortion > bass/treble > crybaby > freeverb > gain out > echo > ImpulseResponse > feedback/feedforward > balance > jconv
funkmuscle wrote:That way it may be less stress on the cpu. Like in Ardour, the more plugins, the harder the cpu works.
True, but also true for buildin plugins. :) But maybe I can build the preamp to a tube like preamp, that will save CPU of corse.

Also I make some test's with a simulated resonance strings model, build on the base of a pitch shifter and delay, (Sitar like or 12 string guitar sounds) maybe I will add this one. :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Also I make some test's with a simulated resonance strings model, build on the base of a pitch shifter and delay, (Sitar like or 12 string guitar sounds) maybe I will add this one.
yes, please do...add it..... a harmonizer too...
tube like preamp would be awesome..
brummer

Post by brummer »

torgal wrote:3- make it show up again like in step 1- but this time, make the window disappear via the windows manager, i.e. click on the little cross belonging to the window's upper bar
so, it is solved now in svn. thanks torgal. :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

dude, no matter what I do with the jconv, the gain goes back to zero. I would click on jconv settings, change the gain, click ok and it goes back to zero.
brummer

Post by brummer »

oh shi.
I guess you run guitarix from svn ?
it's real hard to figure out this. Here it works perfekt. So I have split this funktion into two different parts now, one part is working when you click the jconc settings the first time after you have start guitarix, the other part works for the second and follows starts from the jconv settings window during the same session.
Could you please check out svn again and tell me if the gainsetting hold the valu when you click for the settings window the second time ?

You can update your svn checkout by simply cd the console in the guitarix/trunk folder and run

Code: Select all

svn update
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yep, I've been using the svn version and updated it yesterday, will update now and try again..
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

hey! the jconv gain is now persistent, that did it :) thanks!
brummer

Post by brummer »

okay, so I have locate what's going wrong. :D
I have clean it up now. Hope it work's now perfekt.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

thanks!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I update the svn regularly. The jconv works now but the great guitarix tone I had on my presets are gone. Even trying to create new ones still sounds fuzzy.....like if no amp sim is there.
bypassing guitarix and using only jconv section and my preamp-out on my real amp, the IR files work.
brummer

Post by brummer »

up from version 0.03.0 to the state in svn today, there is nothing changed in the dsp processing or in the presethandling.
What could be is when you change the pcm or capture settings for your soundcart, mainly the input gain, this have a direct influence on the sound processing, therefor you can correct this with the gain in and gain out sliders. The effekt's influence depends on the input gain, higher input gain meens higher influence of the effects.