Guitarix 0.43.1 build fails

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scott.thomason
Established Member

Guitarix 0.43.1 build fails

Post by scott.thomason »

Hi all. I hope I'm in the correct forum for this question. I'm trying to build guitarix 0.43.1, and I'm having a devil of a time. Package lilv-0 in particular really messes up the build. After installing tons of -dev prerequisite packages and monkeying with $CFLAGS and $LDFLAGS, I'm finally past the compiles and to the part of the build that's trying to link everything together. However, I get this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: src/gx_head/engine/ladspaback.cpp.1.o: in function `ladspa::LadspaPluginList::lv2_load(std::map<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, ladspa::PluginDesc*, std::less<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, std::allocator<std::pair<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const, ladspa::PluginDesc*> > >&, gx_system::CmdlineOptions&)':
ladspaback.cpp:(.text+0x9816): undefined reference to `lilv_plugins_begin'
/usr/bin/ld: ladspaback.cpp:(.text+0x9848): undefined reference to `lilv_plugins_get'
/usr/bin/ld: ladspaback.cpp:(.text+0x988c): undefined reference to `lilv_plugins_next'
/usr/bin/ld: ladspaback.cpp:(.text+0x989b): undefined reference to `lilv_plugins_is_end'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
I'm not sure how to resolve this. This is on the Linux Mint 20.3 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 I believe. Does anyone know how to fix?
---scott

LinkedIn
bluzee
Established Member

Re: Guitarix 0.43.1 build fails

Post by bluzee »

I compile Guitarix on Mint 20.3 and I've never had to mess with $CFLAGS or $LDFLAGS. I also don't recall that error. Once all the build deps are in place it should compile fine unless some very recent commit has created a new issue.
JamesFrederik
Established Member

Post by JamesFrederik »

I'd be interested to see how you use the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to configure the Guitarix build, as I can't get Seq66 to compile and I think it's something to do with my own bogey library LIBLO, which always seems to be the one that freaks out at configure time. I think it's perhaps something to do with my distro putting everything into /usr/loca/ so I need to fiddle with paths to get things to find things.

I actually compiled a hobbled Guitarix on Clear Linux a couple of weeks ago, it complained about zita-convolver, zita-resampler and Faust not being installed, which led me to discover that you could run ./waf configure --help to discover what the configure options are. But otherwise no problems with lilv-0, so sorry can't be any help.
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

JamesFrederik wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:31 am I'd be interested to see how you use the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to configure the Guitarix build, as I can't get Seq66 to compile and I think it's something to do with my own bogey library LIBLO, which always seems to be the one that freaks out at configure time.
Well, I compile a lotta stuff, so in my .bashrc I have:

export CFLAGS="-pipe -march=native -mtune=native -O3 -g0"
...and then I have a shell script for guitarix like so:

#!/usr/bin/sh

VER=0.44.1
BUILD=guitarix-${VER}
TARBALL=guitarix2-${VER}.tar.xz

rm -rf $BUILD
tar xf $TARBALL
cd $BUILD

./waf configure \
  -j 8 \
  --prefix=/home/scott/my \
  --cxxflags="$CFLAGS -DGSEAL_ENABLE" \
  --optimization \
  --disable-nls \
  --shared-lib \
  --includeresampler \
  --includeconvolver \
  --no-faust \
  --no-avahi \
  --no-bluez \
  --mod-lv2 \
  --no-nsm 

./waf build
./waf install
In the end, I didn't need to include any particular LDFLAGS after I figured out the config parameters.

It took probably a good solid hour to figure out what dependencies to install via trial-and-error.
---scott

LinkedIn
JamesFrederik
Established Member

Post by JamesFrederik »

that .bashrc snippet answers a question I had after seeing "skylake" scroll past all the time, and wondering how to set it to my Zen+
hopefully that adds a little boost or stability.

what do the -O3 -g0 switches do?
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

JamesFrederik wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:58 pm what do the -O3 -g0 switches do?
-O3 chooses the third/highest level of optimization...you can optimize further by specifying individual -fxxx options, but grouping them together using -O2, -O3, -Os, etc is much easier. -g0 says you don't want any debugging info generated into the resulting binary.
---scott

LinkedIn
JamesFrederik
Established Member

Post by JamesFrederik »

right, a bit more potential speed, without too much need to understand what I'm doing. sweet
I wonder if the debug switch will stop the /var/cache/debuginfo from filling up with garbage .debug files.