Abelton like plugin rack ?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aquarious12
Established Member

Abelton like plugin rack ?

Post by Aquarious12 »

Hello friends,
i was very much suprised with abeltons plugin rack. it can make 8 to 10 chains , each chain having 8 to 10 plugins in it. also some of the parameters of the plugin can controlled by macros. is there any way that this type of lv2 plugin can be made.i dont have any experience in coding.i just wanted to know if there is possiblity ,if its can it be made .

it would be grate if someone took initiative.

thank you , do let know , what ideas on plugins you have as wel.
milkii
Established Member

Re: Abelton like plugin rack ?

Post by milkii »

You could use Carla in Rack mode as a plugin to get a single channel of effects without using a DAW (like, if you load multiple Carla as a plugin inside Carla multi-client mode as an app).

For a simpler example of an LV2 plugin that also hosts further LV2 plugins (and that also works as an app), see Ingen.

There's also the Non Mixer app fork that does LV2 hosting, though that app hadn't seen development in a while now.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

milkii wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 pm You could use Carla in Rack mode as a plugin to get a single channel of effects without using a DAW (like, if you load multiple Carla as a plugin inside Carla multi-client mode as an app).

For a simpler example of an LV2 plugin that also hosts further LV2 plugins (and that also works as an app), see Ingen.

There's also the Non Mixer app fork that does LV2 hosting, though that app hadn't seen development in a while now.
thank you , for reply

Is there any video suggeting the use of carla as you suggeted, it will be easy to understand , i find out about unfas video for midi cc , but i dont know if he has somrting based on carla.if you know any video source please tell
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Last edited by milkii on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

milkii wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm https://youtu.be/IPwO3NEwsMU
Thank you , i will look into it
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

milkii wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm https://youtu.be/IPwO3NEwsMU

edit: also informative; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-NjEVfnwkM
Thank for the edit , I did look into both of it and it does satisfy my curiosity at some extent. One question I have , is there any possibility of making a macro like situation with midi cc , like can I control parameters of plugin with cc data. As i saw unfa video ,he did explain about the thing but it was regarding midi controller ,not about plugins controlling each others parameters ,hope you understand my point.

And dur to you reply I did find Carla and learn about its function of lv2 wrapper and Carla as a plugin in Carla itself, that was awesome.

Thanks.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Aquarious12 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:59 pm Thank for the edit , I did look into both of it and it does satisfy my curiosity at some extent. One question I have , is there any possibility of making a macro like situation with midi cc , like can I control parameters of plugin with cc data. As i saw unfa video ,he did explain about the thing but it was regarding midi controller ,not about plugins controlling each others parameters ,hope you understand my point.
Thanks.
Yes, you can do it, you need a plugin that outputs MIDI CCs, like a LFO, Envelope, etc.

For example: https://github.com/polyeffects/PolyLV2

They generate CV kind of signals but there is a module in there to convert CV to MIDI CC.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Re macros, as in a shortcut to send out a sequence of MIDI notes to control a plugin, sure, there various MIDI apps and plugins that can help in this; scripts, sequencers, trackers, LFOs, arpeggiators, and other generators. Some notes towards those here. I'm looking at looping knob tweaks also, and Seq66 is good for that. I've not focused on using Carl Rack mode yet.

I do prefer the idea of using CV overall, for the better resolution, though there are no apps that natively record or sequence that yet (as in like a proper MIDI sequencer, beyond just shorter CV envelopes).