CLAP

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Re: CLAP

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

And your conclusion is...?
I started with a plug-in that worked just fine, and now I have a plug-in that works just fine. There's not much else to say - same stuff in a different bucket really :) There's not much work involved porting a VST (once I'd built a C++ glue layer for the CLAP C API) but then, in my case there's not much technical advantage to be gained either (at least for my plug-ins)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: I started with a plug-in that worked just fine, and now I have a plug-in that works just fine
If you were starting from scratch, which would you have chosen (from a purely programming, not marketing, perspective): VST2, VST3, LV2, or CLAP?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

If you were starting from scratch, which would you have chosen (from a purely programming, not marketing, perspective): VST2, VST3, LV2, or CLAP?
In a sense that's missing the point, because for anyone hoping to write a plug-in that does something useful (especially with a GUI), the complexity, ease of use etc of the API is not the barrier to entry. So - starting from scratch - even if I said CLAP was the easiest, all that really means is it makes the easiest part of writing a plug-in even easier.

Anyone who understands how to code a plug-in that will actually be useful, will be able to use any of those APIs and there'll be pros and cons dependent on operating system, the SDK documentation etc etc. Its like connecting the power to a circuit. That, or choosing which colour wires to use is not the difficult bit, you still have to know how to make the thing that does the thing. I could be deliberately contrary and say out of those four I'd use JUCE :) (other toolkits are available...)
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i have completely rewritten mip2, my own (mit licensed) toolkit around clap, (and lately, rewritten the widget system yet again, to add gpu accelerated gui).. and then i have wrappers in progress for other formats on top of that.. which simplifies and streamlines things a lot! now i just have to write the clap plugin, and automatically have vst2 and vst3 versions in the same (single) binary file, or i can compile as standalone executable (using jack), from the same unmodified source code.. (i don't care much about lv2).. i'm sooo happy to be free from the limitations of vst2, and the vst3 mess..

everything works well in bitwig and reaper for now.. qtractor doesn't like my .clap files, it seems.. will investigate later, when qtractor's clap support has matured a bit more..

a minimal gain plugin with gui:
https://github.com/skei/MIP2/blob/maste ... s/gain.cpp
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

skei wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:18 amqtractor doesn't like my .clap files, it seems.. will investigate later, when qtractor's clap support has matured a bit more..
it won't mature any further if you don't tell what's not working exactly ;)
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

rncbc wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:16 pmit won't mature any further if you don't tell what's not working exactly ;)
ah, of course :-)

i just tested it again (qtractor-0.9.27-70.1.x86_64.AppImage).. it finds and lists the plugin now, and i can add it to a track, and it seems to work.. but when i click Edit to try to bring up the editor, it immediately crashes.. (segmentation fault).. it uses xcb, glx and nanovg in case that matters.. i'm in the middle of something else right now, but a little later, i can do some more indepth debugging, try to find out exactly where it goes wrong, and get back to you..
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

qtractor.AppImage might not work for recent CLAP (and possibly neither VST3) GUI's, due to its reliance bundle of older system-libraries perhaps... AppImage's should be built against a system s/w level that is no later than the oldest ubuntu LTS still in support, which is 18.04/bionic on this date, and my experience tells it's a miracle if a most recent build of any CLAP (or VST3) plugins may even load under those premises...

but yes, please try to debug where and how exactly your plugins are crashing; would be really appreciated, thanks
cheers
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

qtractor.AppImage might not work for recent CLAP
Seems fine here - I'm using 20.04LTS with the latest QTractor AppImage and was able to load and open one of my CLAP ported plug-ins (including the UI). The plugin UI uses XLib not xcb, maybe that's an issue?
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

rncbc wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:01 pm but yes, please try to debug where and how exactly your plugins are crashing; would be really appreciated, thanks
cheers
it crashes in sogl_loadOpenGL()
i use this: https://github.com/tsherif/simple-opengl-loader..
maybe appimage doesn't like that..
i will investigate more later..