LADI Session Handler (testers needed)

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

LADI Session Handler (testers needed)

Post by studio32 »

There are some topics here on the forum about the lack of a linux audio session handler. LADI is now in active development and ready to test. You can help to test and report issues
http://www.ladish.org/
#ladi at freenode
get jack2 from ladi branch with dbus enabled
+ latest laditools
and latest ladish

where can I find ladi branch?
- you have to checkout jack2 from git
http://repo.or.cz/w/jack2.git
git clone -o cz git://repo.or.cz/jack2.git
cd jack2
git checkout --track -b ladi cz/ladi
./waf configure --dbus --classic --prefix=/usr [more options]
etc
I needed the flowcanvas which is in the ladish package from git. the flowcanvas folder was empty, but not after:
/ladish$git submodule init
/ladish$git submodule update

build flowcanvas
build ladish with --prefix=/usr
Pablo
Established Member

Re: LADI Session Handler (testers needed)

Post by Pablo »

I would like to test LADI. But before I even try it I would like some clarifications. I tried it before and I didn't succeed, don't remember why but I guess a lack of dbus support.

I know I need jack2 with dbus enabled, I have jack2 but how can I know if I have dbus enabled? Can I enable dbus without reinstalling my

jackd --version: jackdmp 1.9.3 (from the 64studio jaunty backports)?

Or do I need to uninstall this one and compile a dbus-enabled jack2?
Is dbus enabled by default if I compile jack2?

(I have always trusted in 64studio for the jack packages, and never compiled jack)

I prefer jack2 over jack1 because of the netjack support, which is very easy, works beatifully and works in Windows, AFAIK (even if I am a Linux only guy, I have friends who are not and I would like to try netjack with them).

If needed I would compile. That's not a problem but over all I would like to understand the essence of the different forks and variations of jack. jack1, jack2, jacknone, jackdbus (jack1dbus, jack2dbus, jacknonedbus??) I have read something about this and I understand the idea of the dbus support but all these forks are not clear to me. A brief description would be enough. This is not in the jackaudio.org FAQ but I always wonder.

Regards, Pablo
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Pablo wrote:I would like to test LADI. But before I even try it I would like some clarifications. I tried it before and I didn't succeed, don't remember why but I guess a lack of dbus support.

I know I need jack2 with dbus enabled, I have jack2 but how can I know if I have dbus enabled? Can I enable dbus without reinstalling my

jackd --version: jackdmp 1.9.3 (from the 64studio jaunty backports)?

Or do I need to uninstall this one and compile a dbus-enabled jack2?
Is dbus enabled by default if I compile jack2?
You have to get jack2 from git and build it with dbus support. Dbus is not default.
for example:

Code: Select all

git clone -o cz git://repo.or.cz/jack2.git
cd jack2
git checkout --track -b ladi cz/ladi
 ./waf configure --dbus --classic --prefix=/usr [more options]
 etc.
edit2: I've installed jackdbus, flowcanvas (which comes with ladish), laditools, ladish and a2jmidi, all from git, succesfully on Debian testing/unstable and Ubuntu 9.10.

edit:
So if you want to have both jackd and jackdbus, you should configure with --dbus and --classic
You'll get an warning though "WARNING !! mixing both jackd and jackdbus may cause issues!"
From what I understood this is about configuration and saving it. E.g. ~/.jackdrc is not used by jackdbus.
It doesn't looks like a big problem for me yet...

Jackd and jackdbus (both jack2) should perform equally well. Of course you have to make sure you have the same settings in jackdbus as you have in jackd normally. With a bit of testing it looks this is right.

You cannot set jackdbus in qjackctl/setup, but you can manage connections in qjackctl.
You can use qjackctl for JACK Transport, but you can do this also in the apps, like ardour/hydrogen etc.

There was a hot debate on LAU/LAD whether using Dbus is good or bad. Also Nedko, the author of LADI started a discussion a few weeks ago. Maybe you find it interesting to read:
http://linuxaudio.org/search/swishmail/LADI

I will do more testing in the coming days/weeks, try to find out if jackdbus is bad or not and if LADI is useful and if it works ok. I'm optimistic so far and will start LADI everytime I'm working with Linux Audio now...

For more specific info and support join #ladi at freenode

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ladi
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Our friends from Linuxmao have some picture of LADISH:
http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/img/wi ... ladish.png
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I would go for the first link....
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

The first is a SVN repo and the 2nd is a git mirror of that repo?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

AutoStatic wrote:The first is a SVN repo and the 2nd is a git mirror of that repo?
If so, I think it's the other way around...
I would prefer git and think jack2 is the proper name right now...