Hosting VST3/LV2 plugins inside the browser (for demos like Stompenberg FX by Thomann)

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Hosting VST3/LV2 plugins inside the browser (for demos like Stompenberg FX by Thomann)

Post by Basslint »

The web is obviously unsuited for realtime audio processing but maybe it's good enough to preview effects, so that people can try them before installing them.

Thomann has this cool web app called Stompenberg FX which allows people to preview actual hardware pedals.

Now, this is a cool technical feat which cannot be underestimated (breakdown) but I think that the same concept could be applied to software plugins more easily, as plugin hosts already exist.

From the technical side, which libraries would you use to implement this? Would you go for a traditional client-server architecture or try to compile some existing VST3/LV2 host to WebAssembly?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
d.healey
Established Member

Re: Hosting VST3/LV2 plugins inside the browser (for demos like Stompenberg FX by Thomann)

Post by d.healey »

You might find this interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORIpeFQqR9c
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Hosting VST3/LV2 plugins inside the browser (for demos like Stompenberg FX by Thomann)

Post by Basslint »

Thanks @d.healey but let's say that I can't recompile JUCE plugins and I have a regular GNU/Linux distro on which I host my server. Which library makes it easiest to host LV2 (and hopefully VST3) from code?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!