VCVRack modules as LV2 plugins

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

VCVRack modules as LV2 plugins

Post by Basslint »

VCVRack is free software but it developed its own module API rather than use LV2.

As a consequence of that, there is now a wealth of libre audio plugins which can't be used elsewhere - 173 according to the official VCVRack library [1].

I think it would be great if those could be used in a modular setup built on top of Carla or really, any DAW. What would be the best way to go about it? I have zero experience with VCVRack, I don't even use it as a program, but I'd be curious to hear your take on this: more specifically, on the possibility of writing a "compatibility layer" between the VCVRack API and LV2.

[1]: Output of

Code: Select all

ag -Li proprietary | xargs ag -l license | xargs ag -L -- -N[CD] | wc -l
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: VCVRack modules as LV2 plugins

Post by sysrqer »

Where is the 173 number from, is that the number in the manifest on that repo? I'm sure there are a lot, lot more than that. Rack's modules system is perhaps a little confusing, there are plugins which are really suites or collections of modules from a developer, and there are modules which are the individual things you add to a patch. One plugin can have any number of modules. Count Modula plugin has 111 modules alone. I have 2169 modules installed and I think at least half are free/libre.

I think it might be worth posting this on the VCV Rack forum, Andrew, the dev, might have some input and there are a lot of experienced module devs there. One person who may be able to help is baconpaul, the developer of the Surge plugin. I think he is involved with the Surge project as a whole so would probably have a good idea of what's needed as he's done it the other way (VST > module) already.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

sysrqer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 am Where is the 173 number from, is that the number in the manifest on that repo? I'm sure there are a lot, lot more than that. Rack's modules system is perhaps a little confusing, there are plugins which are really suites or collections of modules from a developer, and there are modules which are the individual things you add to a patch. One plugin can have any number of modules. Count Modula plugin has 111 modules alone. I have 2169 modules installed and I think at least half are free/libre.
Yes, it's the output from the command in the OP launched in the manifest directory. I assumed they were more, since a bunch looked like bundles already, didn't think a single one would contain almost as many submodules :lol:
I think it might be worth posting this on the VCV Rack forum, Andrew, the dev, might have some input and there are a lot of experienced module devs there. One person who may be able to help is baconpaul, the developer of the Surge plugin. I think he is involved with the Surge project as a whole so would probably have a good idea of what's needed as he's done it the other way (VST > module) already.
I'd rather someone with more VCVRack experience than myself did it, I opened this thread to know more and to throw the ball out there, hoping someone will pick it :D
khz wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am VCV Rack + MOD =? https://forum.moddevices.com/t/vcv-rack-mod/4287
There are three problems:
1) When they say "paid" I think they meant "proprietary", because "paid" does not imply that it's not FOSS
2) Since there are hundreds of modules, I think it would take a lot of time porting each of them to LV2
3) Even if VCVRack itself became an LV2 plugin, it would be very heavy compared to running each separate module as a pure LV2 plugin

The ports could even be ran without any interface, if that's a problem.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!