Famitracker-qt (libre NES chiptune program)

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Famitracker-qt (libre NES chiptune program)

Post by Basslint »

https://github.com/TauAkiou/famitracker-qt

Someone did good progress on porting FamiTracker (GPLv2) from the Windows API to Qt5. Is there anyone interested in carrying it forward? Even if my Qt is a bit rusty I'd like to give a hand, but on my own I don't think I'd be able to complete it.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
marbangens
Established Member

Re: Famitracker-qt (libre NES chiptune program)

Post by marbangens »

I like trackers :) If you want I can help, we can figure it out :) https://github.com/noisecode3/famitracker-qt
PM me if you want, PR my repo and I PR you'res :) Its missing jack support I think, I would start to fix that.
Jack Transport Sync is nice :)
marbangens
Established Member

Post by marbangens »

After looking at this, I think its better to rewrite like 50% of it. The Qt and the threads mostly and add sound API's, but some of it can be used, that's nice :)
I have ported the configuration window to Qt but this implementation, well it felt dirty and not right, the main window. I want to try remake that part in another repo. Qt6 renovation pimp my main windows :roll:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

marbangens wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 pm After looking at this, I think its better to rewrite like 50% of it. The Qt and the threads mostly and add sound API's, but some of it can be used, that's nice :)
I have ported the configuration window to Qt but this implementation, well it felt dirty and not right, the main window. I want to try remake that part in another repo. Qt6 renovation pimp my main windows :roll:
I wonder if switching to JUCE wouldn't be a better choice, since it includes everything needed.

Edit: not that Qt doesn't, simply JUCE was created with audio in mind
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
marbangens
Established Member

Post by marbangens »

That will be dirty with makefiles I think, Im not sure it has everything, like jack transport. You can make a simple host and easy host plugins with almost no code but not sure its right for this project. JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio, ALSA MIDI and JACK MIDI will be enough with just those API libs I think. We can look at Hydrogen for some inspiration too. I think it needs jack, fast stable prioritized and synchronized audio threads and a new main window. There was a signal indicator line widget I think can work as a goal. I think if its a bigger program its good to have everything supper clean and organized, easier said then done. I think its an impotent mindset cus you don't wanna clean up a festival after. Also comment a lot. I think I'm gonna remake the main window a bit and push it to git.

https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page