Where to start converting Windows / MFC synth to Linux?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

guerrian
Established Member

Where to start converting Windows / MFC synth to Linux?

Post by guerrian »

I have some C++ code for a stand alone synthesiser program that I wrote a while ago to work on Windows 7 / MFC. I no longer have the machine or the Visual Studio compiler. Now I have a machine running Linux Mint I would like to try to convert the program and perhaps develop it. The main interaction it had with the OS, beyond just being a regular C++ program was to dump audio data to a buffer via a call back function. It also had a basic real time graphical user interface with some on screen sliders. I am a noob when it comes to Linux development and I was hoping to find a simple C / C++ example demonstrating how to render a wave (a sine wave for example) to the audio output. But I could not find such an example. What are the minimal C / C++ libraries I need to send the rendered audio data from memory to the sound output? Do I need to use Jack and ALSA to achieve this?
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit (version 3.2.7), Intel Core i7-4790, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Where to start converting Windows / MFC synth to Linux?

Post by Lyberta »

Yep, Qt is nice when it comes to desktop GUI. If you wanna see some C++ example code that works in GNU/Linux, you can check my library. It has bindings for ALSA and JACK bindings are coming soon.