transposition

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

transposition

Post by fretski »

I'm no producer, more like a student, and am trying to transpose a 4-note midi section from Bb to Ab. Working with Rosegarden I first of all tried to let Rosegarden do the honours. The result ended up sounding bad, advice obtained elsewhere suggested that I do it manually. I tried that too but the result still sounds bad.

The section is on two tracks so in the image the original tracks in Bb are the two on top, the attempt to transpose into Ab are the bottom two. The staff in both cases is C to force explicit accidental notation regardless of key.

Is this because the notes in question happen to be chords? I've read somewhere that chord transposition involved some other footwork especially in the case of accidentals?
Attachments
hits-soundbad.jpg
hits-soundbad.jpg (230.47 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: transposition

Post by Lyberta »

Hmm, ideally you just select all notes in matrix editor and move up 2 semitones. There shouldn't be any problem. Any MIDI editor should work.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I don't know exactly what you did, but your transposition is wrong. The third measure should be a Db major in the key of Ab. But you've got an E note in there. Looks like a human error. Change that E to an F note.

Use rosegarden's transpose function instead of doing it manually.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

FaTony wrote:Hmm, ideally you just select all notes in matrix editor and move up 2 semitones. There shouldn't be any problem. Any MIDI editor should work.
This is what I do in Rosegarden all the time. Never had a problem with it yet.
Select all, or just the notes I want to move, then up/down arrow. Shift moves it an octave.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}