KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Post by Luc »

The gauntlet has been dropped:

https://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2016/

This is good news. Great results have been yielded from past editions.

Whether you're a user or an enabler, keep your eyes peeled. If you're an enabler, good luck, and may the Source be with you! :)
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Post by sadko4u »

Thanks for notification. I think, I'll join the challenge.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

With KVRDC16 is not all easy as like in the first impression.
For example, my release model of LSP Plugins doesn't fit their rules,
so I'm currently clarifying some questions with support.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Please elaborate.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Here's my letter:
Hello!

My name is Vladimir Sadovnikov, I'm a founder and developer of Linux Studio Plugins Project http://lsp-plug.in/

I want to participate the KVR Developer Challenge 2016 and I'm already working on new plugin but have some issues relative to my release model that aren't clarified in the list of KVR DC16 rules.

The main problem is that I release my plugins as solid packages (LV2, LADSPA, LinuxVST, standalone JACK) that include all already existing plugins. They're available for free use in binary form, the source code is published only after the donation goal for the plugin is reached. There are no popping and notifying dialogs that ask for donation but terms of releasing the source code are published on the official site. Also I prefer to follow the fixed development lifecycle that means that each new release is published 4-6 weeks after previous (except bug-fix releases).
When doing release, I upload binaries to SourceForge and publish news on official site and linux-related forums.
The KVR DC16 submission ends on November, 30th. So there are about 2 months of time. But my release will be done within 2-3 weeks, so there will be about one month to work on something new and (possible) publish another release.

So not to violate rules and not to become disqualified, I want to clarify these questions:
1. Is it normal that plugin will be released as a part of solid package with other plugins?
2. Is it strongly required to publish source code of the plugin?
3. Is it normal that binaries are free for use but source code is donationware?
4. Is it permissible to publish binaries on Sourceforge.net and provide link to them for the KVR DC16 entry?
5. Is it possible to publish release before the KVR DC Voting starts to keep and not to stop the development lifecycle of the product?

Thanks in advance.
Vladimir Sadovnikov.
Here's the answer:
Hi Vladimir,

Some answers.
So not to violate rules and not to become disqualified, I want to clarify these questions:
1. Is it normal that plugin will be released as a part of solid package with other plugins?
No, unless all the plug-ins are released as a bundle entry, which we have had in the past.
2. Is it strongly required to publish source code of the plugin?
Not at all. Entries don't have to be Open Source, just free to download and use unencumbered by demo restrictions or timeouts.
3. Is it normal that binaries are free for use but source code is donationware?
What you do with the source code is up to you.
4. Is it permissible to publish binaries on Sourceforge.net and provide link to them for the KVR DC16 entry?
No, it should be uploaded to KVR for initial distribution on the publish date.
5. Is it possible to publish release before the KVR DC Voting starts to keep and not to stop the development lifecycle of the product?
No, this would be in violation of the rules. The KVRDC is not about releasing a product you would normally be releasing in a normal release schedule. It supposed to be a completely separate thing!
I've sent additional clarifying questions, when I get more information, I'll publish it.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Maybe you could single out one or two plugins and treat them differently, removing them from the bundle and the fixed release cycle. It can be brought back once the competition is over. It's only two months, it won't hurt.

Or you could make a completely new plugin. If you have any project in the back burner, this might be a good time to bring it to the front burner. ;-)

I hope you win and let everyone know that Linux makes good noise.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Because I can't use already existing plugins to join KVRDC16, I'm already working on the new release. But if the judgement will accept that it is possible to release one bundle, I'll do it and the release of LSP plugins will be a bit delayed. It will be the violation of my 4-6 weeks sprint's lifecycle but I think I'll find what to release ;).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:Because I can't use already existing plugins to join KVRDC16, I'm already working on the new release. But if the judgement will accept that it is possible to release one bundle, I'll do it and the release of LSP plugins will be a bit delayed. It will be the violation of my 4-6 weeks sprint's lifecycle but I think I'll find what to release ;).
Any change you'll be making limiters for Linux? We seem to be lacking in that department.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:Any change you'll be making limiters for Linux? We seem to be lacking in that department.
Yes, currently I'm working on dynamics. But first dynamics processor that I'm currently completing is the implementation of compressor. Limiter is in the plan but not at this time.

Also, good news about KVRDC: I closed all unclean questions for me. I can join KVRDC but have to produce plugin bundles independently from the official release. After the KVRDC ends, I can merge these bundles into official release.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Any change you'll be making limiters for Linux? We seem to be lacking in that department.
Yes, currently I'm working on dynamics. But first dynamics processor that I'm currently completing is the implementation of compressor. Limiter is in the plan but not at this time.

Also, good news about KVRDC: I closed all unclean questions for me. I can join KVRDC but have to produce plugin bundles independently from the official release. After the KVRDC ends, I can merge these bundles into official release.
That is awesome news for us Linux musicians. Vladimir, thank you for the awesome work you're doing for us.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

The submission period has ended. That means download and voting is open! That means lots of new toys for us to play on the weekend! :D :D :D

Voting ends on December 18th. Be sure to show you care and vote until then.

If you don't agree with any of the licenses, whatever, just go get busy with something else.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Are any of the windows ones particularly special? I don't bother too much with windows plugins unless they are really exceptional.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I don't know, haven't tried any yet. I will try them over the weekend.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I've took a part, as planned. You may vote for my bundle if you like it :).
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Maybe I am spoiled by so, so many Windows plugins that run just fine on the Airwave bridge, but I must say I was disappointed at this edition of the KVR DC. Among a few interesting offers, there was nothing that I found exciting, like "wow, I gotta have this!"

Even worse, about half of the plugins refused to run on Airwave.

Meh. :(