Web/Forum Hosting for Open Source Projects?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mauser
Established Member

Web/Forum Hosting for Open Source Projects?

Post by mauser »

Hi everyone,

i'm looking currently for some options to host our hydrogen forum. At the moment we're using the webserver of a developer, but i think this is not the perfect solution since it makes it hard to "share" the adminstration. Are there any (trustworthy and stable) services out there which provide free webspace (with php, mysql, sth like that..) for open source project? At the moment i know only of sourceforge and their webspace, which was very slow when last evaluated it (this was like 4 years ago.. things might have changed in the meantime, i'll try it). They also provided a dedicated "hosted apps" section for things like phpbb, but that went down this summer :-/
diizy
Established Member

Re: Web/Forum Hosting for Open Source Projects?

Post by diizy »

You could try tuxfamily.org
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi

We use the Sourceforge web-space solution to host our project-page and the forum. For sure it isn't the fasted server, but it works well enough for us. Since we use the new Allura platform on Sourceforge, there is indeed a improvement to "4 years ago".
Allura works pretty stable in the meantime, so I could recommend it.
On the road again.
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Not sure if it has forums, but Assembla looks promising. It's more of a full-featured project hosting service than, say, Github.

I suppose you could get a .wordpress.com site and add BuddyPress forum plugin(s).
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tnovelli wrote:Assembla looks promising
Just that they are focused on commercial projects. For free you get

Unlimited Private SVN, Git & P4
Unlimited Users
Collaborative Code Review
1GB Storage

See:
https://www.assembla.com/content/plans2.php
On the road again.
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

tramp wrote:Hi

We use the Sourceforge web-space solution to host our project-page and the forum. For sure it isn't the fasted server, but it works well enough for us. Since we use the new Allura platform on Sourceforge, there is indeed a improvement to "4 years ago".
Allura works pretty stable in the meantime, so I could recommend it.
Thanks! I installed phpbb3 there and it works well for the moment. I think i will give it a try and import all users and posts there to see how responsive it will be..
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

tnovelli wrote:Not sure if it has forums, but Assembla looks promising. It's more of a full-featured project hosting service than, say, Github.

I suppose you could get a .wordpress.com site and add BuddyPress forum plugin(s).
We were using Assembla (with SVN) a as a Development Platform before we moved to github. The platform was stable, but the services (like trac) were outdated at that time and had often problems. And they didn't offer web hosting.
hunyeti

Post by hunyeti »

Have you considered renting a cheap VPN? there are some pretty good ones for just 2 euro / month.
Btw, how much ram/ storage do you need? you could try https://www.heroku.com/ they have a free option, and you can upload via git.
linuxboy12

Post by linuxboy12 »

hunyeti wrote:Have you considered renting a cheap VPN? there are some pretty good ones for just 2 euro / month.
Btw, how much ram/ storage do you need? you could try https://www.heroku.com/ they have a free option, and you can upload via git.
OpenVPN is open-source and free. :wink: