JACK sync with ableton live

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

JACK sync with ableton live

Post by tatch »

(i know this isn't really a linux question)

I have a macbook running JACK OS X with Ableton Live and I want to sync Live's transport/tempo with JACK's so I can sync Live to a linux box via JACK. Live doesn't natively support JACK (as expected) but it generally plays very nicely with it, but it doesn't sync to the transport. However, it does support python controller scripts for connecting different controllers to live like APC, maschine, etc., and controllers can controller tempo, start/stop and other transport things. In the liveAPI there's a class called TransportComponent that has all the available ways you can control the transport. I found online documentation here (here's the whole thing) but it isn't super descriptive.

I also found a tutorial about writing a basic transport controller with start/stop capabilities here.

Here's a description of Live's syncing capabilities (midi clock vs mtc. it says mtc is preferred but "the BPM will have to be set manually in Live to match the BPM of the master sequencer, I think this could be set by TransportComponent._tempo_value() though).

I'm relatively competent at python but I don't know how to use this information to set up a transport/tempo sync with JACK, or if it's even possible to do so in this way. Is Live's implementation of transport control too different from JACK's? I was reading the jack transport design from the api and I'm not sure how to go about doing this.