Midisnoop, rtmidi and ALSA support

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tux99
Established Member

Re: MIDI View

Post by tux99 »

falkTX wrote:There's also a recently released tool, midisnoop: https://code.google.com/p/midisnoop/
I use that in KXStudio because it's done in Qt4 and thus integrates better in the desktop.
I've compiled it so it has JACK-MIDI only.
That's a shame, why limit the users' options?
Midisnoop supports both ALSA and Jack, building it with Jack support only means patronizing KXStudio users.
Linux is about choice and freedom for the user, why go against that?
In the interest of KXStudio users I do hope you reconsider your decision and rebuilt it with ALSA and Jack support.

I also included Midisnoop a while ago in my public Audio/Video repository for Centos/SL/RHEL6 and of course I built it with both ALSA and Jack support.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

falkTX wrote:In this case it's JACK-MIDI but it wasn't intentional, I just used what debian has - JACK-MIDI only RtMidi library.
Ok, I'm surprised Debian limits their users' choices, that's not what I expect from them.
falkTX wrote:But you're right, I'll modify the (RtMidi + midisnoop) packages to build ALSA-MIDI as well.
Thanks, that makes most sense as midi monitoring is actually used more with hardware synths (to debug cabling and hardware setup issues) than with software synths and when monitoring midi to hardware synths ALSA is the point of entry.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

tux99 wrote:
falkTX wrote:In this case it's JACK-MIDI but it wasn't intentional, I just used what debian has - JACK-MIDI only RtMidi library.
Ok, I'm surprised Debian limits their users' choices, that's not what I expect from them.
The fix for this has already been committed to Debian in january (http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg ... e6a4abe708). Version 2.0.1~ds0-3 (tagged may 8th), which is now in sid, should have it.