DigiTech effect pedals

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

desowin
Established Member

DigiTech effect pedals

Post by desowin »

Hello,

gdigi is tool aimed to provide X-Edit functionality to Linux users

Supported devices:
* RP250
* RP355 - initial support in hg
* RP500
* GNX3000
* GNX4K

If you try to use gdigi with unsupported pedal, it'll show "compability dialog" allowing to select some "compability option" (some controls might work then, some don't). Check what's already working with different compability modes.

If you have other DigiTech USB-equppied device that works with X-Edit, a windows/os x box somewhere (not neccesary, but makes things easier), and want this device to be supported by gdigi - here's some information. Adding new device doesn't require any C knowledge (atleast I think so)

Basically whole hwoto-add-support is described here:
http://hg.atheme.org/users/desowin/gdig ... ip/HACKING

All this data you gather is about to be included in structs described here:
http://hg.atheme.org/users/desowin/gdig ... /effects.h

The actual structs that make the supported devices working are here (take a look, so you'll know what kind of stuff is needed to add support)
http://hg.atheme.org/users/desowin/gdig ... /effects.c

Then finally, the IDs are being #define with some meaningful name, the file which has those #define is here:
http://hg.atheme.org/users/desowin/gdig ... ip/gdigi.h

(Note that those files always link to newest revision, so they might be different than the files found current release - when hacking on gdigi always use current hg revision)

If anything's here unclear - ask away!
Last edited by desowin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
SR
Established Member

Re: DigiTech effect pedals

Post by SR »

Thanks for posting this and the work you've done on gdigi. I'd like to help to get the GNX3000 added. Can you suggest a USB sniffer and how you grab information with it?

Thanks,
SR
desowin
Established Member

Post by desowin »

SR wrote:Thanks for posting this and the work you've done on gdigi. I'd like to help to get the GNX3000 added. Can you suggest a USB sniffer and how you grab information with it?
If you have no prior experience with sniffing usb, I'd suggest to rather use the second method (saving X-Edit patches and checking IDs)

Also, there's only one free windows USB sniffer I'm aware of - SniffUsb 2.0

The sniffing method is described because it was the thing I started with... I had completly no idea back then that everything you need is in clear text in patch files
and personally, as soon as I discovered that patch files has enough information, I didn't use the first method since.
desowin
Established Member

Post by desowin »

Side note:
as some of effects are actually the same between different models, to save the time you need to get required information, you can start gdigi in compability mode, then check which options work (for example set some distortion model, set it's parameters to something easy - like 1 for dist, 2 for other option, 3 for another), then run X-Edit and check if it assigned the proper values (in case of RP250/RP500, the wah settings are exactly the same, and chorusfx or distortions share a good number of same effects. In some cases the parameters labels differ, ie. "Dist Output" vs "Distortion Output", but the ID, position, and possible values are exactly the same), and if there aren't any additional parameters for that effect.
(Do this for both compability modes)
Then do the "ID gathering"

Also regarding RP250/RP500 similarities: if ID for something matched, then the possible values were exactly the same

And remember if you don't get meaning of something in gdigi source code, or there's some core difference between already supported devices and device you want to be added - just ask, and try to provide as much information as you can