Which plugin formats are standard in linux today?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Username0
Establlshed Member

Which plugin formats are standard in linux today?

Postby Username0 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi,

I came to this forum to try to contact j_e_f_f_g but I think it will be quite a challenge... Anyway, now that I'm here, I've been away from the Linux world for a very long time and I need an update... Just so you understand, last time I messed with Linux audio it was with AGNULA's DeMudi!
I might compile some plugins made with juce.com for linux as an experiment at some point. Does anybody has any experience with this?
I don't even know where to start. Is still everybody using eclipse, emacs and vim? Any IDE recommendations to compile juce code? Which is the most standard plugin format today in Linux and which ones allow midi input and output?

Sorry for asking so many questions! If anybody has a quick link to a state-of-the-art article, I'd be happy to read it!

sadko4u
Establlshed Member

Re: Which plugin formats are standard in linux today?

Postby sadko4u » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm using Eclipse + CDT in development process.
Current primary Linux plugin standards are LV2 and LinuxVST, both allow MIDI processing.
I don't recommend to use JUCE, although it's cross-platform, it doesn't support LV2 yet.
Also it has some bugs that probably won't be solved for a long time: https://forum.juce.com/t/cant-make-frie ... gtk2/18120

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Postby Lyberta » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:20 pm

I guess DISTRHO is one of the best frameworks for plugins. It can do JACK, DSSI, LV2 and VST. But it doesn't have the ability to reliably work with raw MIDI data and can't do MIDI output yet.

For coding I prefer CodeLite.

Username0
Establlshed Member

Postby Username0 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Thank you for your answers. I didn't know Code Lite and I like a lot that it supports many platforms at once.

Is LinuxVST simply VST compiled in Linux? Is this what JUCE produces?
I read your post and I'm not sure I understood well. Is it an issue with the JUCE host example program or with the plugin itself when you host it in other linux sequencers? I really don't need the JUCE host, I would only like to be able to compile my plugins for linux without having to completely rewrite them...

sadko4u wrote:I'm using Eclipse + CDT in development process.
Current primary Linux plugin standards are LV2 and LinuxVST, both allow MIDI processing.
I don't recommend to use JUCE, although it's cross-platform, it doesn't support LV2 yet.
Also it has some bugs that probably won't be solved for a long time: https://forum.juce.com/t/cant-make-frie ... gtk2/18120

sadko4u
Establlshed Member

Postby sadko4u » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Username0 wrote:Is LinuxVST simply VST compiled in Linux? Is this what JUCE produces?

LinuxVST plugins are just plugins that use Steinberg SDK to compile under Linux.

Username0 wrote:I read your post and I'm not sure I understood well. Is it an issue with the JUCE host example program or with the plugin itself when you host it in other linux sequencers? I really don't need the JUCE host, I would only like to be able to compile my plugins for linux without having to completely rewrite them...

Yes, it's mostly problem of JUCE hosts.

Return to “Developer's Section”