Question Regarding Creating Custom Plugins

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

SamwiseStrikesBack
Established Member

Question Regarding Creating Custom Plugins

Post by SamwiseStrikesBack »

Hey there,

I do tech support for my actual day job, and am pretty comfortable with viewing and editing code.

I was wondering, what are the best projects to just git clone and modify a bit to learn from?

Are all these plugins based in C?

Or is there anything that's worthwhile in Python?

I ask because I honestly prefer Python and Bash a bit as opposed to straight C, but let me know what exists! Would love to fork some stuff and learn a bit as I always wanted to make some plugins.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Question Regarding Creating Custom Plugins

Post by Basslint »

Python is not suitable to write plugins because it's not meant for real-time usage for a number of reasons.

There are two popular standards for plugins on GNU/Linux, LV2 and VST3. VST3 plugins can be written in C++ exclusively, LV2 can be written in C, C++ or other suitable languages (like Rust, Zig and Nim).

Since Zig is easier than C IMHO, here is a simple plugin written in Zig :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I have used Distrho Plugin Framework to develop plugins in C++. Take a look at my Dragonfly Reverb project for some example code.

I have also experimented with DPlug, which uses D language. I had no prior experience with D, but now I think it's a nice language.
SamwiseStrikesBack
Established Member

Post by SamwiseStrikesBack »

Michael Willis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:44 pm I have used Distrho Plugin Framework to develop plugins in C++. Take a look at my Dragonfly Reverb project for some example code.

I have also experimented with DPlug, which uses D language. I had no prior experience with D, but now I think it's a nice language.
Oh wow! You made the Dragonfly Reverb plugin?

I've used that a TON over the last 2 albums I worked on, that's so awesome. Thanks a ton for this :)

I'll take a look at the code for your project as well to see if I could learn anything and maybe think about making my own plugin :)
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

SamwiseStrikesBack wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 am ...honestly prefer Python and Bash a bit as opposed to straight C,
I use C and C++, as god and nature intended. You really shouldn't try to write plug-ins using Bash :)
Plug-in developer - Applied Computer Music Technologies / OverTone DSP and occasional 8-bit modern retro games developer at Vintage Software Systems Ltd
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

SamwiseStrikesBack wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:36 pm Oh wow! You made the Dragonfly Reverb plugin?

I've used that a TON over the last 2 albums I worked on, that's so awesome. Thanks a ton for this :)
Heh, I always smile when somebody says that they like using Dragonfly Reverb, it makes me feel like I've finally earned that "open source contributer" badge that I dreamed of for years. I actually can't take credit for the sound though. Dragonfly Reverb is built on the work of many other people: Teru Kamogashira, Fons Adriaensen, John Dattorro, James Moorer, and the list goes on and on. I mostly just took the code from Teru's freeverb3 project and used it to build plugins with DPF.