Recording classical guitar

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Juan
Established Member

Recording classical guitar

Post by Juan »

I've been trying to record some guitar piece I wrote, and I'm running into trouble with the bass level the mic is taking in, particularly in the A (440) region, which is kind of a bummer, as that particular frequency features quite prominently and works as a drone of sorts.

Anyhow, I'm using a nylon-string guitar, an AT-2035 microphone and a Cakewalk UA-25EX USB sound card.

The tweaks I can think of now, which I've tried (in vain), are:
. Mic positioning (I didn't really tried this thoroughly, as most "safer" positions tend to undermine the volumen of the higher frequencies).
. The Low cut and PAD switches in my mic (again, I was not satisfied with the general level of volume I get)
. Purposely plucking the troublesome string with a little less gusto... This obviously works like a charm, but there should be a way for me to record this just as I normally play it, that is, plucking away.
. The last thing I tried was to equalize the signal with JackEQ before sending it to Ardour, but I'm thinking that's not particularly kosher. Again, there should be a way for me to get an acceptable raw take without messing with equalization, right.
. The built-in compressor in the UA-25EX. I've fiddled around a bit with it, but couldn't produce a noticeable difference. I know some people here have this gear, perhaps someone knows how to work with this feature.

That's about it. I should add that I'm using a set of speakers (not monitors) which tends to emphasize bass sounds a little too much, but not -this- much (my windows vibrate like crazy when I listen to my recording).

That said, all tips are more than welcome.
Thanks.
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Recording classical guitar

Post by Capoeira »

proximity effect - don't get to close

it also could be the room. is your room treated? are you recording close to a wall or corner? have you tried another position in the room or even another room?
Juan
Established Member

Post by Juan »

Hey!

The room is most definitely untreated and I'm, in fact, facing a wall about half-a-meter away from me. I'll try with my guitar facing the opposite wall, which is about 3 meters away.

Muito obrigado!

EDIT: I've tried recording in different parts of the room and facing different walls, but I still get that rumbling chaos. I'm now thinking it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a low frequency: In fact, the same piece uses a low-D tuning for the sixth string, and playing it really loudly close to the mic's capsule does not produce nearly as much rumble as the fifth string played mildly. I'm clearly illiterate as to the physics of sound. Any ideas (short of transposing the whole thing?)
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

some guitars will require a smaller gauge A string, the nature of the beast
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

you could make a meassurement with qloud to see what is + or - going on in your room. it won't be accurate because this is no meassurement mic, but you will see your room modes (and) problems of your loudspeakres
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

Hello,
as far as I know, the resonance frequency of most acoustic guitars is 220Hz. Do you have the guitar signal on your speakers when recording? If yes, try to turn it a little bit lower (or off, if possible).
I have a similar problem on stage, when I play my acoustic. The sound-man has to turn down my guitar on the monitor speakers. This is a kind of a resonance feedback.
Juan
Established Member

Post by Juan »

Well, it seems the problem was speaker-related. I bought a pair of low-end closed headphones and everything seems much more balanced now. I'll have to see about changing my speakers soon, though.

Thanks, guys!
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

It's good luck to fix the root of the problem. Using strings that work right
for the individual instrument, is the root, other fixes add complexity, and
can muffle the sound the instrument was designed to produce. If that is
sometimes desired, so be it, but it is better as an option, than a necessity.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Avoid the sound hole.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

You might also try some zero budget room treatment like hanging blankets, or playing into a mattress or other dense soft material. (or if you have budget make some panels with accoustic insulation)
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

It's not the room.

It's the instrument combined with the mic, combined with the technique he is using (and maybe a little bit of the player).
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire