Recording/mastering acoustic instruments and vocals

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

PsychoNerd
Established Member

Recording/mastering acoustic instruments and vocals

Post by PsychoNerd »

I just wanted to have a discussion about this, because it's a lot more technical than I thought it would be. I've personally been singing and playing guitar for a while, I've never published any recordings that I did myself. Now adays, i'd prefer to do it that way just to save money and learn about sound engineering.

I've recently been recording myself singing and playing guitar with my android and audacity. Android actually does a pretty nice job: all I have to do is put the phone at guitar level so that it's more more balanced (vocals tend to be naturally louder...). I've been experimenting with some microphones recently, and the main stuggle i've had is getting the correct levels. Over the past couple of days, i've been making test tracks and comparing them, i figure it's a better idea than trying to go ahead and make the recording. It seems that an automatic no-gain recording with any of these microphones will be really quiet, and maxing the gain on my interface creates too much distortion. So far, as far as guitar sound alone (i've decided to do everything separately because that has better editing control..) i've had gotten the best sounds by recording with two phantom boom mics in stereo without any gain and applying low levels of compression. In comparison to my Shure SM57 Cardioid Dynamic Instrument Microphone in mono, the sound overall is brighter and less bassy.

Do any of you have experience recording/mastering something similar? Would you recommend using more equipment than what I describe here, I haven't gotten around to testing the vocals yet, the challenge from my perspective amounts to having both the guitar and vocals without it being to quite or too loud/distorted. What types of setups do you have for you this?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Recording/mastering acoustic instruments and vocals

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Wait. You're using the built-in microphone in your android smartphone to record your vocals???

No. Use your Shure SM57 to record your voice. If you're having problems with the volume being too dynamic, record with a compressor on the vocal.

Set the interface's mic volume so that when you're singing your loudest note, the input signal is as loud as possible without clipping.

Then turn on the compressor.

Select a "vocal" preset on the compressor to start you off with appropriate compressor attack and release times. Those values should be close enough to what you want. Then, set "threshold" to 0, "ratio" to 2:1 (or 1:1 if that's the lowest setting), and the compressor's "output gain" to 0.

Sing your loudest note followed by your softest note. Start lowering the compressor "threshold" setting so that the compressor triggers (is working) while you're singing your loudest note, but doesn't trigger (is doing nothing) when you're singing your softest note. Next, set the "compression ratio" (ie, usually labeled 2:1, 3:1, ETC), so that there's a good volume balance between your loudest and softest notes. (ie, Your softest note is quiet, but not too quiet so it can be heard well in your mix. And your loudest note is as loud as it needs to be compared to the soft note). As you increase the ratio (ie, the first number gets proportionately bigger than the second number), the overall volume will decrease. So you'll need to increase the compressor "output gain" to keep your loudest note recording at the greatest volume. NOTE: Do NOT increase the mic volume. Increase only the compressor's output gain.)

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

PsychoNerd
Established Member

Re: Recording/mastering acoustic instruments and vocals

Post by PsychoNerd »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:59 am Wait. You're using the built-in microphone in your android smartphone to record your vocals???

No. Use your Shure SM57 to record your voice. If you're having problems with the volume being too dynamic, record with a compressor on the vocal.

Set the interface's mic volume so that when you're singing your loudest note, the input signal is as loud as possible without clipping.

Then turn on the compressor.

Select a "vocal" preset on the compressor to start you off with appropriate compressor attack and release times. Those values should be close enough to what you want. Then, set "threshold" to 0, "ratio" to 2:1 (or 1:1 if that's the lowest setting), and the compressor's "output gain" to 0.

Sing your loudest note followed by your softest note. Start lowering the compressor "threshold" setting so that the compressor triggers (is working) while you're singing your loudest note, but doesn't trigger (is doing nothing) when you're singing your softest note. Next, set the "compression ratio" (ie, usually labeled 2:1, 3:1, ETC), so that there's a good volume balance between your loudest and softest notes. (ie, Your softest note is quiet, but not too quiet so it can be heard well in your mix. And your loudest note is as loud as it needs to be compared to the soft note). As you increase the ratio (ie, the first number gets proportionately bigger than the second number), the overall volume will decrease. So you'll need to increase the compressor "output gain" to keep your loudest note recording at the greatest volume. NOTE: Do NOT increase the mic volume. Increase only the compressor's output gain.)
Oh no, i just mentioned android as its one of the things ive been using, but i shouldnt as i was asking about desktop recording...i just think its interesting that my phone doesnt need compression, its already pretty loud.