Mastering

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Mastering

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

It would be useful to find a good tutorial about mastering with Jamin and especially other tools like japa jkmeter and plugins.

I know spm_gl is building an mastering suite, so he might find some time some day... But maybe there are other Mastering masters too...
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: Mastering

Post by MattKingUSA »

Or you can just purchase the mastering service from spm_gl or something. The mastering suite looks cool. I want to live in there. Anyway, I would like to know more myself. I tried Jamin but I had no idea what I was doing with it. So I just gave up on it like after 10 minutes. I'm not a mastering master, infact the only reason that I decided to post to this thread was to give props to spm_gl.

-Matt :D

spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

Thanks.
Mastering is not a question of using certain tools. Jamin is quite capable, even though I don't believe in using a multiband compressor on everything.
You need to get into a different listening mode. Stop listening to the instruments, ignore the lyrics and the arrangement, and completely concentrate on the sound. And then learn which tool does what to the sound. Simple, isn't it? ;-)
Metering is important to see what you can't hear (fast transients), and to make 100% certain you're not clipping. But get your eyes off the screen, this is audio not pretty pictures. Currently I'm still waiting for the carpenter to build the desk. We'll have the screens off to the side, so when listening there is nothing to look at.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
t-sys
Established Member

Post by t-sys »

Here's one, i guess it was written by Quentin Harley:
http://www.64studio.com/howto-mastering
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

so, Jamin is a nice tool, but neccessary? that question because of the heavy cpu-usage.
compression should be done on the tracks (if even), a lot more flexible. also limiting (if you want). and sure you should do equalizing on the tracks, too.
So, what else you need? a stereo wider?
use it on the master track? is there any good one (LADSPA/LV2)?
What else to use?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Reviving the thread! I'm not a master engineer, but I have had a fair amount of experience with it. Mastering, to me, is about two things.

1.)Making everything "gel" together. By that I mean, you can get things sounding pretty good in a mix, but when mastered correctly you can really bring things together.

2.)Loudness. Notice I didn't say volume. Mastering should bring the average level on a track up to the point, just before it sounds "crunchy." Loudness is perceived, and not a measurable level, like volume. You can give me, 2 tracks that both peak at -0.5 dB continually, one mastered and one not. The one that's mastered will sound "louder" to most people. (By the way, -0.5 dB is usually the level most commercial masters shoot for.)

Mastering is usually done by running your final stereo mixdown into an eq, multi-band compressor, and finally a limiter.

This is why Jamin is set up the way it is(my favorite way to master!) The eq is one of the best I've ever used. Being able to make as many pencil mark eq cuts as you want is very helpful. Example:To help seperate a low guitar line from bass, I usually make a notch about 50hz or so wide and cut the volume by half at between 200-500hz. This allow you to distictly hear the guiar and bass better.

The multi-band compressor is really their to help level off different groups of frequencies, so that volume is mostly flat coming out of each eq group (i.e. sub-bass,bass, mid, treble.)

Lastly, now that the sound is a bit more flatened, you boost the input of the audio in the limiter(or the boost control in Jamin. I would only touch the input on the limiter if boost is already up, and you still need more, but at that point you should go back to your mix and get more overall level anyway.) Set the limiter to -0.5 dB(or whatever suits your particular needs, just a good starting point.) Run your track through it, and back into a bus to be captured, EXPORT!

At this point you should have a final mastered sound file that sounds loud, able to disern all instruments from one another, and general good quality sound file that's on par with commercial releases!

Hope this helps aspiring mastering engineers!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Capoeira wrote:so, Jamin is a nice tool, but neccessary?
Definitely! Even if I'm just send a pre-realease preview of a track to a client I run it through Jamin, just to bring the loudness up.
Capoeira wrote:that question because of the heavy cpu-usage.
If you are worried about CPU usage of a program designed to run with only 1 final sound file loaded, you're not using a computer good enough for audio.
Capoeira wrote:compression should be done on the tracks (if even), a lot more flexible. also limiting (if you want).
You are correct, compression is questionable in most circumstances. But most of the time in mastering you want a subtle amount so that things sound good together a bit better. However limiting is almost mandatory. Whether you boost anything or not, you should at least set a consistent output dB for a project
Capoeira wrote:So, what else you need? a stereo wider?
In limited curcumstances, it could be ok, but you should probably get you panning the way you want it in the original mix. Widening the mastered track might pull the things you've centered, too far from center. But, I can see how it would be good for certain types of music (i.e. orchestra, soul, jazz)
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

thanks for the input, you seam to know what you are talking about....I am here to learn

sure you need a limiter if you master a album.
if compressing the whole track makes a good mix (sound) even better depends on the point of view (read: ears) and/or for whom you make your music.