(Solved!) Windows Audio vs. Linux Audio

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Windows Audio vs. Linux Audio

Post by tavasti »

Toejam76 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:30 pm Btw Ardour crashed every single time I've tried it and Reaper never. Maybe it just doesn't like closed source plugins :)
Ardour does not have plugin sandboxing, and it has its own set of libraries -> if you have plugins which are dynamically linked, crashes are pretty common.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

I haven't noticed any of your bug reports on tracker.ardour.org, or any presence on discourse.ardour.org or IRC.

Did you expect us to fix or know about every single plugin issue, without anyone reporting them? Did I overlook those bug reports?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Toejam76 wrote:Disable network scanning. Had xruns if wifi is on.
How would I find out, if network scanning is active?
How would I disable this?
JACK is set to 128 buffers/ 3 periods.
When I'm using 128/3 (internal sound card) I have alredy more than 300 Xruns already after the project is loaded. This increases up to 4000+ after pressing Play. Audio quality is unusable!
tavasti wrote:If you can live in Linux without Cubase, WaveLab (don't know what it is), etc; why they are mandatory in Windows?
WaveLab is Steinbergs Wave Editor / Mastering Software.

I'm very familiar with Cubase and I'm sure it would take less time to become familiar with newer versions than it would take on another new Program like Reaper etc.
Last edited by TAERSH on Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

dawhead wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:01 pm I haven't noticed any of your bug reports on tracker.ardour.org, or any presence on discourse.ardour.org or IRC.

Did you expect us to fix or know about every single plugin issue, without anyone reporting them? Did I overlook those bug reports?
I'm not a regular user of Ardour, so I didn't report the bugs which I experienced.
Also I don't have an account at *ardour.org and don't plan to register.
So, reporting bugs seems impossible?

The problem I had with immediate crashing after project loaded could be caused by the Tracktion BioTek 1 plugin I was using. Older version of that project (without BioTek 1 loaded) loads fine. Can't recall atm. which plugins were missing.
dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

TAERSH wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:13 pm
dawhead wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:01 pm I haven't noticed any of your bug reports on tracker.ardour.org, or any presence on discourse.ardour.org or IRC.

I'm not a regular user of Ardour, so I didn't report the bugs which I experienced.
Also I don't have an account at *ardour.org and don't plan to register.
So, reporting bugs seems impossible?
My question wasn't directed at you, but regardless ....

We can't fix bugs we don't know about. There are many thousands of plugins. No DAW has the ability to test them all - some DAWs are "big enough" that plugin developers do the testing themselves (e.g. if your plugin crashes Logic on macOS, it's dead in the water, so guess what plugin developers for macOS do?)

There are some developers that will test their plugins in Ardour, but it's still a minority.

Also, I had a conversation once with the lead dev of a large, very successful commercial/proprietary DAW who told me that if they could do one thing to make their life easier, it would be to be completely drop all plugin support. So don't imagine that it's just FLOSS audio software that has these sorts of issues.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@TAERSH

I'm starting to wonder if you really want help or just want to complain... You've been offered several answers and suggestions of ways to do things and advice on ways to save some money or use alternate products. If you're too stubborn to register at ardour.org and get an updated version of Ardour with hundreds of bugfixes since 5.12 or try Reaper for free for 30 days I don't know what you expect...?

I do know you tried AVL-MXE earlier this year and somebody even set you up with a USB key... AVL-MXE has fully functional Ardour 6.5 AND Reaper 6 PLUS every tweak in the Linuxmusicians Wiki AND an RT Kernel so all you had to do was boot the key and at least try ALL of that stuff out (even if you didn't install it to use) and of course that also wasn't good enough either for one reason or another.. :roll:

I don't know what you expect but I'm guessing help is not actually wanted here..
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@GMaq

I did not ask for help. Help seems to be useless by now.

Already did all the real-time config stuff that is mentioned in several posts and topics. Except disabling network scanning I tried everything provided - no luck at all. Hopefully someone will tell me how to disable network scanning to give this a try.

So, I just mentioned having problems in GNU/Linux that don't appear under Windows XP. Even NOT on a much weaker machine from 2008 compared to my much more powerful new machine from 2020. I was asking/wondering if there's a chance that these sound/audio issues will disappear one day - in complete and generally, not only for myself.

Now, I tried Reaper two times but at these days it wasn't able to use LV2 plugins. I need the full functioning support for LV2 plugins. Also I found Reaper being not very comfortable / intuitive. Of course these weren't long term testings as I prefer to use my time for composing music.

It took me already weeks, to be able to get MIDI working in Ardour and to record some MIDI. From my experience Ardour's MIDI functions/ability is very poor and in general Ardour is very complicated. E.g.: cutting Audio tracks on a preferred play position is nearly impossible. One needs an university diploma to cut audio tracks and instead it cuts the Audio track into hundreds or thousands of pieces. All this or at least most of this won't change by switching to newer versions.

And yes, by a nice and friendly member I got an USB flash drive with the .iso of AVL-MXE (oh, I still need to send it back). Unfortunately there isn't Qractor installed and on top of that I just don't like to run my OS as a user. I want, I need and I have to run my OS as ROOT! I'm the chief on my computer and I'm the only one who's using it. Running as user sucks!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK, well then if you don't want help... I'll just write some things down here to remember them... :wink:

First: Ardour timeline cuts... You need to set the mode to 'Playhead' then your splits and cuts will be right where the playhead is, easy peasy!
ArdourPlayhead.png
ArdourPlayhead.png (46.14 KiB) Viewed 7983 times

Second: Reaper with LV2: https://www.reaper.fm/files/6.x/reaper6 ... _64.tar.xz... Extract it, run it from a folder and try it out with all your LV2's

Third: Install recent Qtractor in AVL-MXE... I will admit this isn't obvious without some explaining..
Open the MX Package Installer (not Synaptic) and select the MX Test Repo tab, let it load the contents and then search for Qtractor and check off for installation:
InstallQtractor.png
InstallQtractor.png (75.54 KiB) Viewed 7983 times
Fourth:.... DO NOT RUN REGULAR APPLICATIONS AS ROOT!! I don't know who told you this but it is wrong, wrong, wrong! NO Desktop distro is designed or recommended to to run solely as Root, Some Applications may easily have poorer performance because they are not configured and designed to be run by the Root user. Root is for system administration, software installation and changes outside of the home folder... NOT for running applications. You're using Linux wrong, how well do you expect it to work!?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Root is for system administration, software installation and changes outside of the home folder... NOT for running applications. You're using Linux wrong, how well do you expect it to work!?
So, I thought GNU/Linux stands for Freedom?

Running as user bends me and has nothing to do with freedom.
To me running as user is obligation, pressure and restraint - NOT freedom.

I could accept running as user in a multi user environment.
But that's not the case on my computers.

I'm running my XP machine generally as Administrator. No problems at all.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

TAERSH wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:49 am
Root is for system administration, software installation and changes outside of the home folder... NOT for running applications. You're using Linux wrong, how well do you expect it to work!?
You have the freedom to jump in front of a speeding train if you wish but I wouldn't recommend it.
I agree some of your problems may be because you are attempting to use applications as root which are intended to be run as user.
Windows XP didn't have much concept or separation of admin privileges, but Linux does.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Linux/Unix root and Windows administrator are very different.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

GMaq wrote:NO Desktop distro is designed or recommended to to run solely as Root
Puppy Linux.

I think there's an Arch-based distro that also runs as root. Was it Manjaro?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:11 am
GMaq wrote:NO Desktop distro is designed or recommended to to run solely as Root
Puppy Linux.

I think there's an Arch-based distro that also runs as root. Was it Manjaro?
Ahhh the ever-present exception to the rule!

Ok... I guess my point is no longer relevant because one or two out of several hundred active Distros (none of which are focusing on low-latency Audio performance) are recommended to run as Root... :roll: We're recording Audio here, not doing f**king Swiss Bank drafts!

The general point remains Root is NOT helpful here at all..
Last edited by GMaq on Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Seriously Bruh!!??

OK, done now... Reap the Whirlwind...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

<IRONY_START> And do not use passwords! ;-) <IRONY_END>

Of course it makes sense that there are root and user users. Even secure/good passwords have a logic why you have to use them.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.