Making drumgizmo kicks pack a punch

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

uns4ph3
Established Member

Making drumgizmo kicks pack a punch

Post by uns4ph3 »

Hey I need some tips on how to get the Croecelkit and Aasimonster kit to punch with the kicks. Walk me through the process like I’m a noob, cuz all the things I’ve tried only marginally work and screw up my mixes.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Re: Making drumgizmo kicks pack a punch

Post by uns4ph3 »

Thanks to some help from Pro on Unfa's discord, I figured it out.
  1. To start, you MUST have DrumGizmo add all 16 tracks. You'll need them.
  2. Turn the bleed to zero. You'll add reverb later.
  3. Add a compressor to all of the tracks.
  4. Go through one by one, using the compressor, adjust so no track peaks and you figure out what instruments are in what strip on the drum kit you've chosen. Also pan instruments so you're not having a mono drumkit and you have a good stereo field (this will help the snare cut through if it's panned slightly to the L or R)
  5. You found that kick right? Sidechain all your bass and any instrument that gets below 150hz consistently to this track (or two tracks as the case may be)
  6. Now, on the main drumgizmo track, add an overall EQ with a hipass around 40hz, a lowpass around 15khz, and a high shelf where your ear says it fits best.
  7. Add reverb
  8. Profit
Last edited by uns4ph3 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

This sounds like a good approach.
uns4ph3 wrote: ... a lowpass around 40hz ...
I don't think you'd hear much with a low pass at 40Hz. You mean to remove the extreme high and low end? That's a highpass at 40Hz and a lowpass at 15kHz.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Fixed the original post. Thanks for that