How to record Stereo Mix (Wave Out)

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Louigi Verona
Established Member

Re: How to record Stereo Mix (Wave Out)

Post by Louigi Verona »

Thanks both Pablo and raboof - it all worked and I've installed the app...

Now a question though - how do you use it? I mean, once I start JACK, all my apps which,say, stream online radio - shut down!
Pablo
Established Member

Re: How to record Stereo Mix (Wave Out)

Post by Pablo »

Hi Luigi,

When you start the jack audio server, every application that is not jackified (it is not a jack client) won't produce any sound. Look at it the other way, you first start the audio server (jack in this case) then you start the jack clients. In conclusion, if you want to use jack_capture to record anything, you need that this "anything" is a jack client and you must start the clients AFTER the server.

VLC has a jack output plugin, so if you are using VLC you won't have any problems. If you installed vlc from the jaunty repos, you need 'vlc-plugin-jack' package. Then, in VLC go to preferences -> Audio and choose the jack plugin. Close VLC. Start qjackctl (aka Jack Control) start VLC, in the connections windows of qjackctl, connect the VLC outputs to the system playbacks and you are done listening to VLC through jack. Now, start jack_capture_gui2, configure the audio file you want (wav, ogg, mp3, flac) and bitdepth, channels auto, capture, system:playbacks. Press record and take a look at your jack connections. You will see that every jack audio connection to the system playbacks is automagically connected to the jack_capture inputs, so you are recording what you are listening through the speakers. The audio file is called session0.wav (or .ogg, etc) and it is saved in your /home/user/ directory.

Then, if you want to listen to that recording, through, say, the gnome player with the default output plugin, you will hear nothing, as this is not jackified by default. Jackify it. Most multimedia players can be jackified. Some are jack clients by default (aqualung for example), in others you have to choose jack in the preferences and you sometimes need to install (depending on the player) some extra package. Unfortunately, flash player is an exception, afaik. (But there are workarounds).

I hope this helps, you are almost there.

Cheers! Pablo.