Libre Music Challenge #1

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

Libre Music Challenge #1

Post by rghvdberg »

This thread for submissions and chat about Libre Music Challenge #1
Make a song with only this sample and free audio software.
https://clyp.it/sswswcwy

wav download : https://mega.nz/file/fZRBESbS#-VxFXQC6N ... 1QR4gIhy-c

You can mangle, edit, do anything with the sample as you like, provided the audio software you used is free (libre).
Last edited by rghvdberg on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Re: Libre Music Challenge #1

Post by SpotlightKid »

What is the exact deadline for the first challenge? Sunday, 28th of June, I suppose? What time and timezone?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

SpotlightKid wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:05 pm What is the exact deadline for the first challenge? Sunday, 28th of June, I suppose? What time and timezone?
Indeed , Sunday 28th of June.
There's no hard set time / timezone, just post your results on that day, in your time-zone.

@SpotlightKid how did you do the voting in the Sonoj challenge?
I'm looking at a simple solution. Ofc I could simply use a google form, but I'd like a less `Big Brother` like option.

I'll post links to submissions (done in the discord server) here soon.
Quite amazing what people can do.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Voting in the FM and Nexus challenge was quite involved. I programmed a Flask app to handle it, so you had to create an account. This is something I'd like to improve the next time, e.g. let people log in with Oauth to vote, so they can use their Google, FB, whatever account. But I'd still leave the possibility for a separate account on the server, because that requires no real name only a (possibly throw-away) email address.

Here's are the voting rules: https://nexus-challenge.osamc.de/rules/ (scroll down to "Voting Rules")

(I would link to the code of the website, but GH is having trouble right now)

OSC just does this manually, I think, i.e. people post their points in the submission thread.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Our first submission
Speak - Squeek : https://clyp.it/ygewdfw4
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

SpotlightKid wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:31 pm Voting in the FM and Nexus challenge was quite involved. I programmed a Flask app to handle it, so you had to create an account. This is something I'd like to improve the next time, e.g. let people log in with Oauth to vote, so they can use their Google, FB, whatever account. But I'd still leave the possibility for a separate account on the server, because that requires no real name only a (possibly throw-away) email address.

Here's are the voting rules: https://nexus-challenge.osamc.de/rules/ (scroll down to "Voting Rules")

(I would link to the code of the website, but GH is having trouble right now)

OSC just does this manually, I think, i.e. people post their points in the submission thread.
OSC has a dedicated site, with custom thingies and all.
You drag each entry onto a points "slot"
So you can listen and vote at the same time.

But for now, I think we just do something manually.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Seems we got all tracks in now.
You can listen to them here:
https://archive.org/details/LibreMusicChallenge_1

If you like you can give each track a rating from 1 to 5, where 5 is the highest rating.
Just copy and fill in the table below.
You can paste the result here or send it via a PM to me.

Code: Select all

+---+-------------+---------------------+--------+
|   | Artist      | Track Title         | Rating |
+===+=============+=====================+========+
| 1 | Lifeline    | Abstract Worlds End |        |
| 2 | MyLoFy      | Toydog              |        |
| 3 | SahaaThyva  | LMC001              |        |
| 4 | Zoey Bee    | Squeaky Stepper     |        |
| 5 | rghvdberg   | Amy                 |        |
| 6 | speak       | squeek              |        |
| 7 | unfa        | Dog Toy             |        |
| 8 | y6nH        | Quietsche           |        |
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Here's the result of last months Libre Music Challenge:
The winner is y6nH ! :D

Code: Select all

+-----------+---------------------+--------+------------+-----------------+-----------+--------+---------+-----------+
|           |                     |        |            |                 |           |        |         |           |
+===========+=====================+========+============+=================+===========+========+=========+===========+
| Artist    | Lifeline            | MyLoFy | SahaaThyva | Zoey Bee        | rghvdberg | speak  | unfa    | y6nH      |
+-----------+---------------------+--------+------------+-----------------+-----------+--------+---------+-----------+
| Track     | Abstract Worlds End | Toydog | LMC001     | Squeaky Stepper | Amy       | squeek | Dog Toy | Quietsche |
| Lifeline  | X                   | 4      | 5          | 4               | 4         | 4      | 5       | 5         |
| MyLoFy    | 4                   | X      | 4          | 3               | 5         | 3      | 5       | 5         |
| SahaaThyv | 4                   | 5      | X          | 4               | 4         | 4      | 5       | 5         |
| Zoe Bee   | 4                   | 4      | 4          | 4               | 4         | 4      | 4       | 5         |
| rghvdberg | 3                   | 5      | 4          | 4               | X         | 4      | 4       | 4         |
| speak     |                     |        |            |                 |           | X      |         |           |
| unfa      | 3                   | 5      | 4          | 3               | 5         | 3      | X       | 5         |
| y6nH      | 3                   | 5      | 3          | 4               | 5         | 4      | 5       | X         |
| Total     | 21                  | 28     | 24         | 26              | 27        | 26     | 28      | 29        |
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Wow, really talented people making music with libre software, I am surprised!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!