Page 1 of 2

Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:04 pm
by SpotlightKid
Announcement: The Open Source Music Nexus Challenge starts September 19th, 2019

Please use this thread to post questions about the challenge or discuss software used, share patches and production ideas, etc.

Let's make some awesome Open Source Music!

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:14 pm
by SpotlightKid
Is there interest in opening an IRC channel for the challenge on freenode?

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:17 pm
by rghvdberg
question : physical instrument , do electronic instruments count, like a hardware synth ?

Also, I recorded guitar, but I can't play guitar.
Took 10 minutes to record 4 chords. Stitched them together in Ardour. It's hilarious.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:28 pm
by SpotlightKid
No, for at least one of the recordings you use, you gotta move some air molecules*.

You can add as many other recordings, also from electronic instruments, e.g something outputting an analog electric signal, as you want.

* You can always play a synth through an amp and record from a speaker.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:51 am
by tavasti
SpotlightKid wrote:No, for at least one of the recordings you use, you gotta move some air molecules*.
With that definition, electric guitar recorded directly would not be allowed :-)

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:24 pm
by SpotlightKid
It's allowed, but you must use at least one sample, that has been recorded from a physical soundwave, so that guitar doesn't count towards that.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 pm
by Michael Willis
tavasti wrote:
SpotlightKid wrote:No, for at least one of the recordings you use, you gotta move some air molecules*.
With that definition, electric guitar recorded directly would not be allowed :-)
There are air molecules in between the strings and the pickups.

Hacked Guitar Hero controllers don't qualify though.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:27 pm
by SpotlightKid
Yes, but the pickups are not recording those.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 pm
by Basslint
Great idea! but I have to say that I disagree with the fact that nonfree DAWs are allowed. That's a bit like saying that they are not ready to make music, IMHO.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm
by SpotlightKid
I understand your point, but I think that's reversed logic. Open Source DAW are ready to be used to make awesome tracks, in fact, last year's winning track was done in Ardour. Allowing non-OS DAWs doesn't change that.

But the choice of available, full-featured, mature Open Source DAWs is still very small, especially if you're not on Linux. And if the workflow of the existing ones doesn't suit you, you're out-of-luck.

Also note, that actually the Open Source requirement is stricter than last year, where certain types of non-OS effect plugins could be used. One step at a time, let's see how the situation is next year... :)

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
by Basslint
SpotlightKid wrote:I understand your point, but I think that's reversed logic. Open Source DAW are ready to be used to make awesome tracks, in fact, last year's winning track was done in Ardour. Allowing non-OS DAWs doesn't change that.

But the choice of available, full-featured, mature Open Source DAWs is still very small, especially if you're not on Linux. And if the workflow of the existing ones doesn't suit you, you're out-of-luck.

Also note, that actually the Open Source requirement is stricter than last year, where certain types of non-OS effect plugins could be used. One step at a time, let's see how the situation is next year... :)
Yes, I see your point. Right now there are very few ready DAWs - I would say Ardour, MuseScore, QTractor and LMMS. But there are several others (non, Radium, zrhythm) which are under active development and might be usable one day.

I just personally think it'd be bad publicity for libre audio if the winner used Bitwig Studio or REAPER. But that's my opinion, it does not mean anything.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:40 pm
by nilshi
Basslint wrote: I just personally think it'd be bad publicity for libre audio if the winner used Bitwig Studio or REAPER. But that's my opinion, it does not mean anything.
I see it first and foremost as a challenge to myself. I will make a piece of music within the given rules, and I will only use free and open source software. If I get some voting-points, nice. If not: time well spent.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm
by rghvdberg
Think I got a song worked out. In my head.
Might even buy a new guitar.

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 pm
by SpotlightKid
Oh no, don't start with that! :shock: Guitar GAS is worse than modular! :)

*me* checks what I bought this year:

* mandolin
* low whistle
* 3 tin whistles
* bongos
* :shock:

Re: Open Source Music Nexus Challenge Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:31 pm
by rghvdberg
I really really really really really really need that guitar.

The fact that I can't play guitar is of no consequence.