Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby tavasti » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am

My browser showed me some ad of 'Midi Chord Pack'. Oh really, they sell midi clips that contain chords, scales of chords and chord progressions :-o

But ok, maybe that idea is not that bad, but instead of paying someone for it, how about generating such with script, and maybe distributing it free of charge for everybody else.

I have started writing script for generating midi files with python. I am currently generating different styles, 'soft', 'medium', 'hard', but I don't really know how timings of notes inside chord and note velocities vary when pro player plays piano. Some simple example midi files from experienced keyboardist would be welcome.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby tavasti » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 pm

Generated some variants of C major I-V-vi-IV progression:
http://vuo.ro/~tavasti/Midi/

I haven't seen any commercial midi packs, and don't know what kind of stuff they contain. Do they contain stuff with strict on beat, all notes same time, same velocity? I have such also, those 'robotic' variants. Rest have some degree of randomness.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby tavasti » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:14 am

Checking examples at http://www.prosonic-studios.com/midi-ch ... ple-rhythm

Stuff is not robotic, there is small humanization on timings and velocities, but much less than my first examples.

Downloading free stuff from dancemidisamples.com, stuff is really robotic, all events strictly on grid, and velocities 64 or 127.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby Basslint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 pm

tavasti wrote:My browser showed me some ad of 'Midi Chord Pack'. Oh really, they sell midi clips that contain chords, scales of chords and chord progressions :-o

But ok, maybe that idea is not that bad, but instead of paying someone for it, how about generating such with script, and maybe distributing it free of charge for everybody else.

I have started writing script for generating midi files with python. I am currently generating different styles, 'soft', 'medium', 'hard', but I don't really know how timings of notes inside chord and note velocities vary when pro player plays piano. Some simple example midi files from experienced keyboardist would be welcome.


I think you can do this pretty easily through a library that "knows" music theory and can generate MIDI like https://github.com/tonaljs/tonal
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby tavasti » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Basslint wrote:I think you can do this pretty easily through a library that "knows" music theory and can generate MIDI like https://github.com/tonaljs/tonal

Music theory is not a problem, I know it. Point is that I'd like to know what kind of timings and note velocities are normal with proper keyboardist. Idea is to create midi clips that emulate real player.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby Basslint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 pm

tavasti wrote:
Basslint wrote:I think you can do this pretty easily through a library that "knows" music theory and can generate MIDI like https://github.com/tonaljs/tonal

Music theory is not a problem, I know it. Point is that I'd like to know what kind of timings and note velocities are normal with proper keyboardist. Idea is to create midi clips that emulate real player.


What I was trying to say is that you can generate them with a few lines of code :D

Maybe you should look into mma, it's even written in Python :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Creating own Midi Chord Packs

Postby tavasti » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Basslint wrote:What I was trying to say is that you can generate them with a few lines of code :D

Maybe you should look into mma, it's even written in Python :wink:

I know mma. It is for creating whole compositions, but point was creating library of chords, scales, chord progressions for other people, maybe not so much for myself.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste


Return to “The Producer's Area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nilshi and 2 guests