New Dan Worrall video about saturation

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

New Dan Worrall video about saturation

Post by sysrqer »

I've been really enjoying fabfilter's and Dan Worrall's videos recently, the recent reacomp one was such a good tutorial and the beginner guides are fascinating. I just watched this one and it made me think that there isn't really anything on linux that can do the same thing, and also what a great technique it is. I know there are distortions but they are not generally suited to saturation that you would put on an entire mix.

Maybe LSP could make a fabfilter esque saturn? Seems like it would fit their style. Also hoping for OvertoneDSP to make one, they could use the AF210/M as a starting point for the graph and multibands (the video doesn't show Saturn's multiband feature but you have the same controls for however many bands you want). In fact I think one of the LSP plugins has that multiband thing where you can click to create a band and then move the line across the frequency graph. Replace the eq section with saturation models and it's done.

I'm surprised Fabfilter haven't made a linux port actually, all of those and the u-he plugins combined would be a serious arsenal...if you could afford it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2OZ3UTy2k
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: New Dan Worrall video about saturation

Post by jonetsu »

What's so special about this fabfilter ?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:What's so special about this fabfilter ?
Watch the video. don't think it is specifically about saturn, it shows what you can do with small amounts of saturation and the difference between different types.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yes, it's one of those videos in which the techniques shown are actually more important than the device being demonstrated.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

jonetsu wrote:Yes, it's one of those videos in which the techniques shown are actually more important than the device being demonstrated.
My opinion as well :-)

Now,if the OP wants video and tools (free) about the same subject I think the ones on Airwindows are better in content though I'd admit the voice of Chris Johnson is much less affected by the "holywoodmegablockbusterhypercoolboomguy" tone than the speaker used in the Saturn video.
Check a few from the "emulation" selection: https://www.airwindows.com/category/emulation/ like "ToTape5" for instance.

But then I guess you'll be doomed to spend a lot of nights viewing all the videos and testing all the plugins on your own music!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:I've been really enjoying fabfilter's and Dan Worrall's videos recently, the recent reacomp one was such a good tutorial and the beginner guides are fascinating. I just watched this one and it made me think that there isn't really anything on linux that can do the same thing, and also what a great technique it is. I know there are distortions but they are not generally suited to saturation that you would put on an entire mix.

Maybe LSP could make a fabfilter esque saturn? Seems like it would fit their style. Also hoping for OvertoneDSP to make one, they could use the AF210/M as a starting point for the graph and multibands (the video doesn't show Saturn's multiband feature but you have the same controls for however many bands you want). In fact I think one of the LSP plugins has that multiband thing where you can click to create a band and then move the line across the frequency graph. Replace the eq section with saturation models and it's done.

I'm surprised Fabfilter haven't made a linux port actually, all of those and the u-he plugins combined would be a serious arsenal...if you could afford it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2OZ3UTy2k
No money making stuff like that for Linux for these companies. They said not enough Linux studio engineers and musicians. I read that in the comment sections of a few VSTs development sites.
On the other hand, since using Mixbus, I've noticed doing things by ear worked out better. I use to dig the Fabfilter stuff but then after learning how to do things by ear, Fabfilter took all that away.
Imagine telling someone you've messed with mixing and have gotten pretty good (using stuff like Fabfilter, etc,) then you're dropped in front of a hardware mixer and hardware effects.
That's my reason for not chasing Fabfilter and the likes anymore. Mind you, it's quite impressive though. That's why I loved that vst.
I think I did ask Vladimir about it back when he first released his LSP plugins and I think he said he was heading in that direction of developing something like that for Linux. I could be wrong because that was some time ago.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Loki Harfagr wrote:But then I guess you'll be doomed to spend a lot of nights viewing all the videos and testing all the plugins on your own music!
Thanks for the link ! Indeed it looks like that the documentation is in the videos.

Cheers.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

CALF Saturator can do a lot for you. It's in my master bus.
Check out CALF Multiband Enhancer as well.

I am not sure if these commercial tools offer more functionality. Maybe they offer a better workflow and presets as starting points. Don't get me wrong, that might be worth the money. But I don't think you need them to make a good sounding mix.

I asked myself why we want plugins that make our clear sounds that we can achieve with digital gear sound like old stuff? Do we (in a sense of ALL people) really want it? Or do only the older guys who remember the old sounds want those sounds back and the younger people don't care?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Loki Harfagr wrote:
jonetsu wrote:Yes, it's one of those videos in which the techniques shown are actually more important than the device being demonstrated.
My opinion as well :-)

Now,if the OP wants video and tools (free) about the same subject I think the ones on Airwindows are better in content though I'd admit the voice of Chris Johnson is much less affected by the "holywoodmegablockbusterhypercoolboomguy" tone than the speaker used in the Saturn video.
Check a few from the "emulation" selection: https://www.airwindows.com/category/emulation/ like "ToTape5" for instance.

But then I guess you'll be doomed to spend a lot of nights viewing all the videos and testing all the plugins on your own music!
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: