Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by SpotlightKid »

Ok, I see a trend there :)

J.Ruegg
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by J.Ruegg »

1.

User avatar
protein kyn
Established Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by protein kyn »

Hi
An idea : display in real time the number of votes !

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by SpotlightKid »

protein kyn wrote:An idea : display in real time the number of votes !
Done:
There are 15 competition entries and 17 users have voted on them so far.

So, we could use more votes. Spread the word!

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by lilith »

SpotlightKid wrote:
protein kyn wrote:An idea : display in real time the number of votes !
Done:
There are 15 competition entries and 17 users have voted on them so far.

So, we could use more votes. Spread the word!
Doesn't work for me :/

User avatar
protein kyn
Established Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by protein kyn »

Thank you SpotlightKid!!!

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by lilith »

protein kyn wrote:Thank you SpotlightKid!!!
Do you see the votes for each title?

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by SpotlightKid »

Probably just needs a page reload (try Shift-Ctrl-R).
Do you see the votes for each title?
No. The general opinion trends seems to be to not show any scoring info before the end of the voting.

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by lilith »

ahh ok... I thought it's +1 :lol:

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by SpotlightKid »

I had a question from a competition participant yesterday. how does one export presets for LinuxVST plugins from Ardour? I tried, but I couldn't figure it out myself.

For LV2 plugins you can always just copy the *.lv2 directory from your ~/.lv2 dir, but does Ardour export *.fxp files?
Last edited by SpotlightKid on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by lilith »

SpotlightKid wrote:I had a question from a competition participant yesterday. how does one export presets for LinuxVST plugins from Ardour? I tried, but I couldn't figure it out myself.

For LV2 plugins you can always just copy the *.lv2 directory from your ~/.lv2 dir, but does Ardour export *.fpx files?
Just talked to Robin at IRC. The presets in Ardour for VST plugins are stored in the folder ~/.config/ardour5/presets

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by rghvdberg »

I've uploaded the preset directory to my github repo
but I've only saved presets which didn't load by default in Ardour (hoping somehow magically it works .. and it does .. kinda)

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by SpotlightKid »

@rghvdberg: Thanks, found the presets on my system.

Unfortunately, Ardour uses its own XML-based format to store presets, so you can't import them in DAWs, which expect the standard FXP files.

So I wrote a little converter in Python:

https://github.com/SpotlightKid/ardour2fxp

This is alpha-stage software, but despite the warning in the readme, it generally works. But I've only tested it on very few files and there are some bytes in the FXP files it creates, where I have to guess the value, because the Ardour preset files do not provide enough information. But judging from FXP files, which other programs create, nobody seems to care about these bytes anyway.

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by rghvdberg »

voted

(had more favourite tracks then voting slots, grumble, grumble, it's like killing puppies)

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge Discussion

Post by rghvdberg »

SpotlightKid wrote:@rghvdberg: Thanks, found the presets on my system.

Unfortunately, Ardour uses its own XML-based format to store presets, so you can't import them in DAWs, which expect the standard FXP files.

So I wrote a little converter in Python:

https://github.com/SpotlightKid/ardour2fxp

This is alpha-stage software, but despite the warning in the readme, it generally works. But I've only tested it on very few files and there are some bytes in the FXP files it creates, where I have to guess the value, because the Ardour preset files do not provide enough information. But judging from FXP files, which other programs create, nobody seems to care about these bytes anyway.
very cool
and the other way around ? fxp2ardour

Post Reply