Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm

sysrqer wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:
barbouze wrote:- Seq64 as a pattern sequencer,

Seq64 is a Nintendo 64 emulator. I think you mean Seq-24 which is a Midi sequencer for Linux. ;)

https://github.com/ahlstromcj/sequencer64

Thanks for the info! I read on Github: "Sequencer64 is a reboot of seq24". That's nice. Unfortunately neither the 0.93 or 0.90 Debian package will install because of the dependecy on libatkmm ver. >=2.24 and I only have ver. 2.22. And Seq64 is not in the repo's that I use. It's not that different from Seq-24, it it?

Image

asbak
Established Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby asbak » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:14 pm

try compiling it?

User avatar
milk
Established Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby milk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:25 am

libatkmm-1.6-1v5 (>= 2.24.0) is a dep. (i.e., same for compiling as running)

(edit a day later: ooh, compile the dependency, i.e., the new version of libatkmm!)

what distro are you using? a Debian package search for libatkmm shows multiple version variations.

sequencer64 is recommended. developer Chris Ahlstrom has added various new features and been steadily working through a conversion to qt5. see also the manual.
Last edited by milk on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they/them (nb/gq/tg, ta)
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 am

milk wrote:libatkmm-1.6-1v5 (>= 2.24.0) is a dep. (i.e., same for compiling as running)

what distro are you using? a Debian package search for libatkmm shows multiple version variations.

I (still) use Mint 17.1 LTS. I love Linux but hate upgrading it: it's hell. When I try to install this newer version of libatkmm I end up in dependency hell. It's been a long time since I installed/compiled anything that's not in my repositories and now I know why. Never understood why relatively simple applications have a hard dep on the latest state of the art libraries.

milk wrote:sequencer64 is recommended. developer Chris Ahlstrom has added various new features and been steadily working through a conversion to qt5. see also the manual.

Thanks for the info. But I'll wait until it finds its way into standard repositories. :)

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby tramp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Never understood why relatively simple applications have a hard dep on the latest state of the art libraries.


libatkmm 2.24.1 entered debian at 2015-10-22, do you say that is "a latest state of the art library" ?

Linux Mint 17.1 wrote:Linux Mint 17.1 features a Linux kernel 3.13 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.

Wow, you know that support for your system end in a few month and since then there are 2 new LTS versions out?
On the road again.

User avatar
milk
Established Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby milk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 pm

i was going to say that's the problem with non-rolling release distros, but upgrading Linux Mint would certainly be something to try before doing a distro hop.

good luck with the upgrade. I used to be on Ubuntu, but made so many alterations that the distro version upgrades always broke things. ended up going with Arch Linux a number of years ago, partly because I knew enough to jump into the deep end, partly because I wanted to really learn how to run a Linux system. if Linux Mint breaks, I would suggest maybe giving Manjaro a go. it's Arch based but not with a bleeding-edge approach - new package versions take a bit more time to become available, compared to pretty much straight after their release as with Arch (unless you specifically want Manjaro to be bleeding-edge, or you want to install the latest of a specific package.).
they/them (nb/gq/tg, ta)
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

asbak
Established Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby asbak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 am

Best current compatibility and ease of installation bang for the buck is on Ubuntu 16.04 or Mint 18.

If you know what you're doing then you can get about 80 - 90% of the 16.04 compatible audio scene working on 18.04 or Mint 19 with a few exceptions through a combination of patience, compiling & the 16.04 base package manipulation (cheating the packages into believing their dependency issues are resolved).

14.04 is obviously long past it's sell by date.

Short answer, use Mint 18 or 16.04 for instant gratification.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby tavasti » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 am

I would go for 18.04, because it will be supported longer. Going to 16.04 will lead sooner to same situation as now 'everything is too old'.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 am

milk wrote:i was going to say that's the problem with non-rolling release distros, but upgrading Linux Mint would certainly be something to try before doing a distro hop.

good luck with the upgrade. I used to be on Ubuntu, but made so many alterations that the distro version upgrades always broke things. ended up going with Arch Linux a number of years ago, partly because I knew enough to jump into the deep end, partly because I wanted to really learn how to run a Linux system. if Linux Mint breaks, I would suggest maybe giving Manjaro a go. it's Arch based but not with a bleeding-edge approach - new package versions take a bit more time to become available, compared to pretty much straight after their release as with Arch (unless you specifically want Manjaro to be bleeding-edge, or you want to install the latest of a specific package.).

[off topic] I upgrade my Linux distro by backing up all my data (preferably installing a brand new hard drive, bye bye Win 10) and then I install an LTS (long term support) distro. Then I copy my home dir (with all settings etc.) to the new drive. And then I have to re-install all my favorite software. The "upgrade" option of apt-get never works.

That's why I hate upgrading.

On the other hand, I do not care for the latest and greatest versions of software: I never notice or need the minor little "improvements". If it were me I'd still use WinXP if I were a Windows user, ha ha. So if I have to jumpt through all those hoops for one piece of software? Nah. I used Ubuntu 10 well beyond it's support time. Why I upgraded in the end I don't know... Maybe because I got a new PC.

Oh, and by the way, I think I'll go Ubuntu for my next distro. It's the best supported one I think and it finally ditched the Unity desktop. But it'll never get as good as Gnome 2 with Compiz.



P.S. Considering my age, yes a package from 2015 is bleeding edge, ha ha. :wink:

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby tavasti » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Oh, and by the way, I think I'll go Ubuntu for my next distro. It's the best supported one I think and it finally ditched the Unity desktop. But it'll never get as good as Gnome 2 with Compiz.

You can change what desktop your ubuntu uses. I use xfce desktop by installing xubuntu / installing xubuntu-desktop package. And actually, I don't use much of desktop anyway, I change window manager to something fit my taste, and thats all. For a long I used fvwm, now using awesome wm.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1797
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby sysrqer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Oh, and by the way, I think I'll go Ubuntu for my next distro. It's the best supported one I think

What do you mean by supported? When ubuntu talks about being supported it means that the packages are updated and maintained (or at least patched if necessary) for the stated time. However, this isn't really different from any distro, for something like Arch the support is ongoing and continual (packages are that get abandoned usually have a replacement that can be used). So I'm a bit confused by what you mean about the best supported distro.

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:56 pm

sysrqer wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:Oh, and by the way, I think I'll go Ubuntu for my next distro. It's the best supported one I think

What do you mean by supported? When ubuntu talks about being supported it means that the packages are updated and maintained (or at least patched if necessary) for the stated time. However, this isn't really different from any distro, for something like Arch the support is ongoing and continual (packages are that get abandoned usually have a replacement that can be used). So I'm a bit confused by what you mean about the best supported distro.

I meant supported by third parties.

asbak
Established Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby asbak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Upgrading is obviously a dead-end. I would not dream of attempting it either.

Buy a new harddrive (cheap) and start installing. Yes it is a pain to do but that's the price one has to pay every couple of years. I've just started moving over to 18.04 / Mint 19 on a new system. Not everything works (surprise) but most of it does, enough to get me by.

It's going to be a good couple of years before 18.04 becomes obsolete so it's really a "no-brainer", as the saying goes.

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1797
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Former Proppelerheads Reason user looking for a workflow advice a.k.a Cannot into Linux Music Production

Postby sysrqer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah, ubuntu announced that they will support 18.04 for 10 years so it would be silly to not move to it.

I would try upgrading first, I've done two 1 version jumps and haven't had too much in the way of problems although going 2 LTS releases is a jump. I think it could be ok and fairly painless though and worth a try. Just make sure that, if your /home/ is not on a different drive/partition, you backup your stuff. Creating a partition for /home is way to go, reinstalls are pretty easy (you can backup/restore your ppas and installed programs).


Return to “The Producer's Area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest