work flow - a how to question

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

episteme
Established Member

work flow - a how to question

Post by episteme »

Hello,

I am kind of new to all the open source Tools available for creative audio creation, although I am familiar with Linux on servers.

I stumbled across this video for scoring music to an animation and I am wondering whether this specific work flow can be duplicated 100% with open source? Maybe using Linuxsampler and Aria Maestosa? Do these applications support time code sync? I just don't quite know enough about using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ayswac ... e=youtu.be

thanks and looking forward to learning more about this amazing world of open source audio tools!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: work flow - a how to question

Post by Michael Willis »

I wasn't aware of Aria Maestosa, but it might work. I know that Ardour's feature list specifically mentions video sync, so you could try that. Linuxsampler will certainly work for converting the midi channels to audio, although proper use of Linuxsampler isn't exactly straightforward. If you're wanting to do orchestral tracks, you can try these collections of orchestral samples:

https://nbo.libreorchestra.net/
http://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html
http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

I use Virtual Playing Orchestra, which actually includes samples from the other two, as well as samples from ye olde Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra and others with a heavy dose of audio processing to get everything to sound like it belongs in the same space.
episteme
Established Member

Post by episteme »

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to check out those libraries.

I tried toinstall Aria Maestosa and encountered some failures.

First, using the kxstudio apt-get method - I encountered an unmet dependenancy-

Code: Select all

ariamaestosa : Depends: libwxgtk2.8-0 (>= 2.8.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
Then, tried installing from the source package... but found another unmet dependency. I'm not seeing this library appearing in synaptic.
I guess it didn't make it into 17:10 ?

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwx_gtk2u_webview-3.0
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
I think I'm going to see how musescore works out now.. a quick glance shows support for jack and linuxsampler.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

episteme wrote:I think I'm going to see how musescore works out now.. a quick glance shows support for jack and linuxsampler.
Musescore should work well for you if you're wanting a notation program. I tried it a little bit and it seemed nice, but I eventually decided that I wanted more of a DAW than what musescore's feature set seemed to provide. I have heard of some people composing in musescore, and then exporting the midi tracks to to the audio work in something like Qtractor or Ardour, so that's something that you could investigate if you're interested in more audio processing features.
episteme
Established Member

Post by episteme »

Im thinking some combination of Musescore and MusE to generate midi compositions.

In the past, Ardour seemed really difficult to do any midi based composing... maybe it is better now?

I agree, Ardour with Xjadeo is the way to go, to sync music to video. I think jack should tie all of these applications together.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

episteme wrote:In the past, Ardour seemed really difficult to do any midi based composing... maybe it is better now?
That depends on what version you tried, and what features you want. It used to have no midi support at all, then midi was added in Ardour 3.0; I didn't really start using it until 4.x, and it still doesn't support notation, but I'm ok using the piano roll. I try to record midi more than entering with the mouse, so it works for what I want.

Other people around here also use Musescore, Muse, Qtractor, LMMS, and probably others... I'll go all Cheshire Cat on you and say that which one to use depends on what you want to do with it.