Weird "beeps" in mixes

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Weird "beeps" in mixes

Post by finotti »

(Firstly, sorry for the bad subject title...)

I've encountered a few times something when mixing that I am not sure how to fix: sometimes there are some "beeps" (for lack of better word), like a single note, usually high pitch, that sometimes pops up when I am mixing. I go hunting and solo all tracks and it (the "beep") does not show up in any individual track. I then add tracks back one by one and it eventually shows up again.

So, of course, it seems to be that some frequency (or a few) from different tracks adds up to produce this beep. I assume it does not happen just to me... (It has happened a few times to me...) But I have never read about it and don't know how to fix it. (In one case, I could fix by moving one of the guitars a little in the time grid, but that is not always possible.)

Is there a proper term for this, so I can search and read about it? Or any suggestions on how to fix it? (I'm being lazy here and just assuming that people will know what I am talking about, but I can post audio samples if necessary...)
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Weird "beeps" in mixes

Post by sadko4u »

Maybe you have something (DAW or plugin) installed that requires license purchase?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

sadko4u wrote:Maybe you have something (DAW or plugin) installed that requires license purchase?
Thanks for the reply, but no... I've double checked now, but I had these before I even bought any plugins. (And now I only have some Overtone DSP that work fine.)

I will see if I can find some example and post here.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

OK here is an example. Here is a short piece (5 seconds) of a mix: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/Opus12_beep1.flac At about 2.2 seconds, you hear the "beep". (The pitch is not very high.)

Now, here is the mix without the guitar: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/Opus12_beep2.flac No beep at 2.2 secs.

Here is just the guitar: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/Opus12_beep3.flac No beep at 2.2 secs.

I'd appreciate any insights...
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

42low wrote: It can be me or the simple speakers i'm listening on right now, but i don't hear a beep. See no strange peek in the graphs either.
Could it be in your hardware??
Thanks for the reply!

I don't think so... I hear in my headphones, speakers and with my phone (and different bluetooth headphones).

It's not very high, nor very loud. It sounds like a plucked string, short (like maybe a viola plucked string), on the upbeat right after 2 seconds. (I think it's a G note, but my ear is not good at all and I don't have an instrument with me right now.) It sounds almost as if were there on purpose (since it's not dissonant at all).
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

It sounds almost as if were there on purpose
I guess that's why we (?) don't hear it cause how to know what should be in there and what not (while being in time and in tune and not very present) in a complete mix with lots of tracks one has no insight into. Sorry, I didn't hear it either. But you should check your OvertoneDSP licenses as Vladimir already proposed.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I listened multiple times but was never able to pick it out. My guess is that it's a simple combination of overtones when you have everything mixed together. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound unpleasant.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

42low wrote: Ow ok, the guitar itself!? I thought it would be an external beep and was concentrating on that.
A false string between? I don't hear it as annoying or irritating as it is hardly/not to be heard. I would leave it in. It will disappear within the rest of the sounds and it's what they call "making your sound alive". :wink:
My guitar play is 'full' with that kind of tones. I wish it would only be one. :mrgreen:
Well, listening to the guitar by itself (the third file: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/Opus12_beep3.flac) I can hear a little bit of it. (I hadn't noticed before, to be honest.) So, I guess it is the guitar, but it becomes a lot more obvious in the mix.
Michael Willis wrote:I listened multiple times but was never able to pick it out. My guess is that it's a simple combination of overtones when you have everything mixed together. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound unpleasant.
Yes, to that small noise in the guitar (maybe there was fade in/out from different takes there) is made louder when added the overtones from the other instruments... In the backing (the second file: http://luisfinotti.org/music/files/Opus12_beep2.flac) I cannot hear it. What must be contributing to it there is a light ride cymbal hit. (When the frequencies are added it doesn't sound like the guitar there anymore...)

But while you guys can't hear it, I can't not hear it (anymore)! :-) The down beat is a bit after 1.5 seconds (or so) and the upbeat very shortly after 2 seconds. It's right there in that upbeat. There is one single note there, that might sound like a piano note, or even some percussion (and short). I've been mixing this for a while and just noticed it yesterday, so it is subtle, but it shouldn't be there!!! (I'm letting the control freak in me take over... If you guys didn't notice, I doubt anyone will.)

Thanks all for taking the time to listen to it! I really appreciate it.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

This 'beep' is the result of your imperfect guitar technic. You've just played 4th note together with the main note. It's often problem of guitaritsts when they're playing notes using finger's flat surface instead of fingertip.
In my opinion, I would better rewrite this take if could play it better.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

sadko4u wrote:This 'beep' is the result of your imperfect guitar technic. You've just played 4th note together with the main note. It's often problem of guitaritsts when they're playing notes using finger's flat surface instead of fingertip.
Although I am not sure that is exactly the problem, I agree 100% it's my sloppy technique (as I can hear it in the guitar when in solo)... I just find it so odd (and infuriating) the the rest of the mix makes it much more noticeable.
sadko4u wrote:In my opinion, I would better rewrite this take if could play it better.
You are right again... But I am lazy... :-) Or, even better, I will use the wabi-sabi argument.
42low wrote:.... or just leave it. Makes the music less static.
To me it's not an annoying beep. I must set myself to hear it. If i don't i don't.
My laziness compels me to agree with you! :-) (And you do make a good point!)

Thanks all again for the help!