Idea: Mixing with linux or ardour musicians

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Idea: Mixing with linux or ardour musicians

Post by studio32 »

Hey,

I saw an nice project on another forum board. One member made some recording tracks available and then each members mixed it. And they gave feedback on each other. Would be nice to have something like that here, maybe together with the 'ardour members'. And maybe people like spm_gl, can help to raise our level a bit, and maybe you have some tracks to practice with?

What do you think?
Yeri
Established Member

Re: Idea: Mixing with linux or ardour musicians

Post by Yeri »

There is a nice music collaborative site at http://www.indabamusic.com that can be used to that end.
People can register freely and create sessions (song projects).
Registered members can join those sessions and upload either new tracks or mixes of already existing tracks.
The system keeps track of the activity of each session, and offers discussion means for the members.

It seems a great music collaboration site, but so far I haven't had much time to spend.. so I cannot give you more details.
It would be nice to do some music collaboration (songs, mixes, ...) among the linuxmusicians' community :D
Arpee Ong did already propose it some time ago.

Best regards,

Gerard.
dArAzAc
Established Member

Post by dArAzAc »

That could be very cool, finally I could get some experience with Ardour as my interface is currently down (proprietary hell).
Listen to my audio!@http://dArAzAc.bandcamp.com
Current Rig: Dell Vostro 1520, Arch Linux, Novation Remote25SL, and my trusty guitar.
<3 ZynAddSubFX
musicbloke
Established Member

Post by musicbloke »

Nice idea!

i first saw it done at a Trade Fair (remember those?) where they had a desk set up with all the tracks from Peter Gabriels "Sledgehammer". and you could book a time, sit down, and remix it! Awesome! mine turned out shit!

this is totally in the spirit of open source, and i'll gladly contribute some tracks. just let me know what kind of thing you have in mind.
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

Yeri wrote:There is a nice music collaborative site at http://www.indabamusic.com that can be used to that end. [...] It seems a great music collaboration site, but so far I haven't had much time to spend.. so I cannot give you more details.
I've signed up on indabamusic and i am very happy with it.
A week ago i joined a nice session (=song project, as Yeri said) and attached a guitar solo
and fill. The members i am working with are nearly professionals (not like me :P) and
everybody does a great job. I'd never thought that music collaboration would be so easy!
I don't mean to advertise, but this place is making music collaboration very uncomplicated.
Now some facts:
  • Free users you only have 200MB of space, that is used dynamically by everything you upload. So you better use ogg/mp3 format for your records (to the disadvantage of the quality, but it's ok)
  • I strongly recommend everybody to deactivate notifications by e-mail in the account settings otherwise you get a bit spammed, whenever there is a new comment in a session.
  • The dashboard (comparable with control panel) is neat and self-explanatory. There are social network functions, but they are more on a matter of business.
  • You can easily create own session and specify its properties. So it's possible to create a session and only accept members, you've invited or make it private so no other user can listen to/interfere into the creation process. Maybe this is what we could do first: Create an Indabamusic session...
  • If you click the play button of an audiofile, a player occurs on your browser-bottom and you are able to see the waveform/spectogram (switchable) or comment on a particular point.
  • Mixing is done with the web app called "Mantis", where you can choose a session and then edit/cut/mix the soundfiles from this session.
Recording process is almost done in the session i've joined.
I hope i am allowed to share our creation so you can convince yourself by the result.
Looking forward to look back what happens now

Listen to my music at:
https://www.jamendo.com/artist/373939/zwenny