what do you think about this drum?

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

midish
Established Member

what do you think about this drum?

Post by midish »

I've been listened to this lately and wonder about the sound of the drum they used. Is a drum machine or a real drum? sometimes it sounds like a realistic drum machine sample to me and sometimes like some electronic sounding drum (an actual drum) what do you think?
you can listen to it right here: https://youtu.be/N9RbKtPPq-Y?t=25s this will skip the intro right into the drum part
tnovelli
Established Member

Re: what do you think about this drum?

Post by tnovelli »

Sounds like real drums to me, played 'in the pocket', no frills.

Also it's a 1979 recording... AFAIK the early drum machines all sounded very mechanical and electronic.
midish
Established Member

Post by midish »

you're right. I had forgot it was that old :P I don't think drum machines would have sounded realistic by the time either.
anyways do you have any idea how to achieve that type of sound? like what kind of drum setup or EQ. What do you mean by it being played 'in the pocket'?
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

In the pocket = keeping a steady beat (like... a drum machine).... and not adding lots of extra notes to show off.

Try lowering the bass+treble, and maybe adjust the bass & snare tuning. In Hydrogen it's pretty easy to tweak the cutoff/resonance and ADSR parameters for each drum.
JSantos
Established Member

Post by JSantos »

I've used tons of realistic-sounding Drum ROMPlers (which gives you some minor control over the drum sounds, just like Superior Drummer ,et al.) and even though they can deliver some convincing ghost-notes and velocity layers from their hypersampled setups, this is a real drum kit.

As had been said, it's played-in-the-pocket. You can feel there's more to it than just a simple drum machine or even a drum ROMpler.